Weekend massacre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
:( Two female guppies, the two that had just dropped fry in the past two weeks. I'd been keeping the tank lights off as much as possible all week, in an effort to battle the beard algae that seemed to be starting, so on Friday night, I missed checking on the tank before bedtime, as there were no lights to turn off. Saturday morning, I awake to two floating guppies and the temp was up to 94. (I'd filled the tank higher than usual last week, and now I know the heater seems to work better when it's more submersed)

Anyway, I took out some water, and added much cooler water slowly after turning the heater way down. I would have thought that the rosy barbs or the otos would have gone first if the temp got too high, not that I have any preferences, of course. There were a couple platies who didn't look so happy, and one that seems to have a sore or missing scale - she's in my 5 gal QT for observation at the moment. She's been known to get scrappy with barbs, so I don't know what it is yet.

Unfortunately, this happened on the same weekend we were going to euthanize my skinny platy who's been in QT for over 3 months. It looked like she was going to get better, but has looked more emaciated recently. She still eats, and behaves normally, but I think it's time. I just couldn't do it this past weekend, what with the guppies. I hadn't lost a fish since September, almost 6 months! The lesson learned - it never ever ever ever hurts to check my tanks even if things are going well.

That sucks :( Luckily only 2 Guppies died with such a large increase in temp.

I presume you will soon take that heater and throw it directly in the trash?

Guppies cannot tolerate high temps like many tropicals, and 82F is apparently the highest they can tolerate, but 94 is definitely toasty, so it is amazing that more fish did not die. I am sorry that this happened, and I guess I better sign off and go check my heaters! 8O

Wow that really sucks. My heaters do the same thing. I didn't find out the same way you did though. Sorry about your loss.

You know, I noticed that about some of my heaters too. I have to unplug the heater in my 3 gal tank at times (monitor the thermometer) because it just gets at 80 degrees too often for my tastes. I like to keep most of my fish around 76 for the most part.

So yes, Brian of NY - I did decide against Discus - though my heart will forever want one now. I just need to move those guys in my 10 gal over to the 75..they are too large to be happy there anymore. So I have to think of their needs, and I don't think they'd tolerate a discus' warmer temperatures well. ::sigh:: Some day.

PS - Platylady - I am so sorry for your loss. ::hugs all around::

:cry: Aww. Least it was but two. :?

Sounds like my fresh "frys" cookoff. Crappy PenPlax. The other Penplax exploded. :evil:

I am keen to know if the otos show any effect...!
My son bought otos for his gourmi tank, but chocos prefer hightemps. They are generally at 84F and I fear to put the otos in that.

remember that submersible heaters are meant to be fully submerged. there's usually a 'minimum' water line printed on them, but it's best to put them completely underwater.
I keep mine so low they stay submerged during a water change. I still turn them off, but its better this way.

Thanks for the consoling posts everyone. I haven't chucked the heater just yet, although I am paranoid. Luckily I've been home all day yesterday and today and have been able to check temps hourly. We're sitting at about 78 since Sunday morning.

I didn't realize that about guppies - 82? Wow, lucky they never had ich, I would've used the heat treatment first.

Xmas - will surely post if I see any oto probs. Right now, just the one platy looks diff, but acts the same.

Lesson learned about the heater. Keeping a watchful (read: paranoid) eye on things for the time being.

Fish soup :( bummer PlatyLady.

Important lesson to be read there tho; even when things appear to be going well, its still important to check on things (water parameters such as ammonia included).

"Lesson learned about the heater. Keeping a watchful (read: paranoid) eye on things for the time being."

Seriously just get a submersible heater...

My son bought otos for his gourmi tank, but chocos prefer hightemps. They are generally at 84F and I fear to put the otos in that.
The highest temp for otocinclus is 79F, according to Baensch.

My otos are kept at 82F and are fat pigs. I am aware they wil likely not live as long as they are said to (higher temps - higher metabolism - shorter life span), but I keep the temps high in all my tanks.

My otos are kept at 82F and are fat pigs.
I think you are right that they can be kept at higher temps (mine are at 80F) and it may be that Baensch lists the optimum temp, or it may be incorrect - there are a few of what appear to be errors in there, I have found, especially pertaining to flying fox versus SAE, for instance.

Not to hijack the post, but do you know if otocinclus are mainly wild-caught or tank raised?

Sorry for your losses platylady. That always sucks :cry:

I also just lost a platy--she was huge and looking pretty ready to drop fry, and the next morning she was floating :cry: And now two of my three otos are really fat and I'm worried they will end up like my other oto that got fat and died. Argh! It's so frustrating sometimes when all you can do to diagnose a tank's or fish's ills are the water parameters and how the fish look/behave. If all that is okay and you still lose a fish, it is maddening and very sad.

I think mainly wild caught from different regions. Some have pretty nippy water..as I mentioned in oto post. But I am kinda wimpy on how cold a water I swim in. my cousins were thoughroughly enjoying themselves I was shivering miserably on a hot rock to dry. But the coastal swamps are much warmer and they are caught supposedly there too.
Ya know, this bloaty thing seems to be going around the boards. Think maybe there is some contaminated feed out there? (look at Freezer worriedly did I check the exp date? Do I have a lot number noted for recall?...I am SUCH a paranoid over weird things.)
How could you know unless you and a group of people in your region all lost fish to same symptoms at once.... and you'd have to prove the feed did it. they KNOW we are not gonna shellout to autopsy and alread dead fish.
Da-DA-DAUUUUM! conspiricy theory.... :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom