Weird acting rummynose. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey! :)

I got two more rummies last wknd after returning one before I got the register - his fins were tore up, no thanks! - and got home w/ two great specimens - or so I thought.

One had no problem; he/she hopped right into the school and I can no longer pick it out. :D

The other, though, has yet to color up (no red face) and avoids the school more often than not, preferring to hang out in a plastic plant on one end of the tank. It swims normally and I could see no problems w/ it's body or shape; it's eyes look fine, and it is eating. . .

I'm surprised it lasted this long @ all - after it didn't color up and join the school, I've kinda been waiting to find it belly up. STILL stress, after four days, maybe?

Thoughts on helping it survive this weirdness?

I'm hoping so; I was only worried as the other had no problem whatsoever and it came from the same tank and circumstances the rummy in question did. :sigh:

I can hope it's stress. :?

I don't have any experience with rummynose, but I did have one Buenos Aires tetra that I added later that refused to interact with my other BA tetras. He hung out instead with the Giant Danios for a long time (I think he had an identity crisis going on). About four to five weeks later, he finally started to mingle with my other BA tetras. Now he's like the leader of the pack for them.

Sometimes it just takes a while for fish to acclimate to their new clan, I think. Good luck!

Actually, one of my otos occasionally thinks he's a rummynose! It's pretty funny to see him swimming along w/ the tetras. :D

I'll just keep an eye on the loner rummy; hopefully he'll come around soon enough.

Update -

Last night, first look I got at the fish in question, it was schooling normally AND beginning to show some color!

Of course, when I saw it this morning, it was sleeping/hovering alone on the far side of the tank from the school, absent most of it's color. 8O :?

Who knows; I'm trying not to worry. :wink:

Well. . .

We were out of town over the wknd (cousin's wedding in Michigan) and I came back to this rummy looking pretty poor.

He had colored up and was trying to swim with the school, but his tail had started to turn a greyish color and he had to work very hard to stay @ the speed of the rest of the rummies. I instantly got concerned, not wanting to lose any other fish to this - whatever it was.

The discoloration and apparent effect on his coordination made me think it was maybe a parasite or bacterial issue, so I eventually netted him and in the process saw what I suspect may have been ICH - but I'm hoping not. I wouldn't be surprised; his immune system was probably down as it was and he was quite stressed. The spot in question was just behind a pectoral fin and just below the 'lateral line' area - and looked just like a single grain of salt.

Posessed with fear for the rest of the tank, I fished him out and put him down. :|

In the process of netting him, the other rummies got a little stressed and lost some color, but all but one were schooling again w/in the hour. I'm now worried about that one - with the stress, I'd hate to see anything show up on him. :x

I'm doing a PWC tonight and wondered if there is anything I can do as a preventative measure to help with the stress on the other fish?

Does 'stress coat' actually help the fish deal with stress, or just make the water 'more comfortable'?

Back
Top Bottom