Weird tank growth- algae or sludge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kbell77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
New member here, so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section I just couldn’t really find a good section to put it in. I’ve had my tank set up for a couple years now, nothing out of the ordinary. I have not been great here lately about doing water changes but my numbers have been within acceptable parameters. However, I had to get rid of my moss balls because they started having a white growth on the tips of them (cleaned then but it grew back). I also have this weird brown sludge\algae growing\ sitting on the other plants(will post a pic of some I removed ). Today, I did a total clean out and changed about 50% of the water and cleaned the remaining plants, plus added 3 more (ordered nee moss balls too). I have a 10 gallon tank, with 4 corys, a bristle nose pleco, and a betta. Does anyone know what this is? It is in large clumps and honestly looks like my corys sometimes.

Attachments

• 31F3159C-1226-4B0D-AEE7-850AAD903A4F.jpeg
    31F3159C-1226-4B0D-AEE7-850AAD903A4F.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Another pic (has white sand in it btw).

Attachments

• 7C1D8BA2-CEC1-40FE-9714-D1B51B6E60D0.jpg
    7C1D8BA2-CEC1-40FE-9714-D1B51B6E60D0.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 21
I don't know what it could be, but I would wipe down everything/bump up the gravel vac/water change frequency for a couple weeks. General test kits don't have reagents for organics, which can be a source of food for bacteria and fungal growth.

I've also measured wide ranges of ammonia and nitrate from my tap, some days they are high, some none, and I can only imagine what else is getting through.

Back
Top Bottom