What can i do with this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Praecox dwarf rainbow that is bloated. I've tried fasting for 48 hours and I haven't seen any improvement. I don't have any peas right now to try and feed it. Is there anything else I can do to get past this. I've seen her poop once since fasting. She does move around but tends to stay at the top. Any other foods that help with bloating? She has not pine cones either so I'm wondering if she's constipated. Please help

I have heard of some success curing bloat with an epsom salt bath, but I have never tried it myself. That would be my next best suggestion besides telling you to go buy some peas (which I am sure you have already considered).

Oh I have just work and a sick kid intervene. But I'll try later tonite if the wife isn't having pregnancy pains

I turned the light off to see if shed eat and she died sideways up when I turned the light on. Looks like she pine cones on me. I wish I caught this sooner. So how do u get them to eat peas in case it happens again

I am so sorry! As far as eating the pea my fish eat them without any help at all, in fact they attack them.

If she pine coned then eating peas definitely wasn't your problem. Google fish diseases and read up on ALL the common ones. Dropsy, ich, fin rot, velvet, parasites...

All peas do is help your fish pass whatever is in their system. It's like taking x lax.
If your fish did pinecone, EVERYTHING in your tank must be thoroughly disinfected before use with another fish. This includes the filter and heater. I wouldn't even use the same substrate personally.
Throw away the filter media and use new. If you have other fish, add a medical dose of melafix to your water after you remove the carbon from your filter. And follow the instructions on the bottle for as long as it says.
DO NOT USE ANY OF THE SAME WATER.

I'm sorry if this is a lot of info and if I am coming across negatively in any way but if your fish had a deadly disease the chances all your other fish will die from it is very high and I wouldn't want that to happen.

As was stated, if there was pineconing she had dropsy which is not usually curable once the pine cone appearance sets in.
In general, most fish will eat the peas if they are fasted first so they are hungry.
I am sorry she died though.

Back
Top Bottom