What Causes Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Only my neons and like 3 dots on my platys top fin are showing signs of Ick. I treated the whole tank with Ick Guard from Jungle it has majorly decreased but it is still there(just a little bit though)I just changed the water not to long ago. What causes Ick. And what eked can I do.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130104_162527.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130104_162527.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20130104_162733.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130104_162733.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 49
This is what I used.

ForumRunner_20130104_162849.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130104_163315.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130104_163315.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 57
Ick to my knowledge is always present in a tank environment. It can also be introduced via an infected fish or contaminated plant. Which is why most people QT new fish before adding to the main.

A lot of times ick starts from fish stress. Perhaps overcrowded conditions, ammonia spikes, temperature fluctuation. In my case it was a temperature drop of more than 2 degrees. The fish were stressed the ick attacked.

Anyway you can raise the temperature to 86 degrees. Keep up with the water changes and gravel vac. Fish should recover promptly.

I just just bought ick attack by Kordon. Good luck!

Its a MYTH that ich is always present in a tank. It only can be introduced into a tank via an infected fish and in very rare cases an infected plant. Heres a great article that explains the life cycle of the ich parasite as well as explains the commonly misunderstood and mistated myths behind it. You have to have an understanding of the parasite's life cycle in order to understand how it occurs and how to best treat it.

Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist

Last edited:
Its a MYTH that ich is always present in a tank. It only can be introduced into a tank via an infected fish and in very rare cases an infected plant. Heres a great article that explains the life cycle of the ich parasite as well as explains the commonly misunderstood and mistated myths behind it. You have to have an understanding of the parasite's life cycle in order to understand how it occurs and how to best treat it.

Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist

Thank you that helped.

Ick to my knowledge is always present in a tank environment. It can also be introduced via an infected fish or contaminated plant. Which is why most people QT new fish before adding to the main.

A lot of times ick starts from fish stress. Perhaps overcrowded conditions, ammonia spikes, temperature fluctuation. In my case it was a temperature drop of more than 2 degrees. The fish were stressed the ick attacked.

Anyway you can raise the temperature to 86 degrees. Keep up with the water changes and gravel vac. Fish should recover promptly.

I just just bought ick attack by Kordon. Good luck!

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom