What Disease is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waldi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i had a few fish that got this mostly guppies, but none of my fish has it now. My friend has 2 fish in her tank that have it right now. Sometimes fish in the petstore have it. So its not uncommon. Ive also seen this in platys and mollies. Basically the fish start to loose colour, it swims weird like its tail is to heavy or like its paralyzed in the tail/spain area. Some people say its TB but but i dont really believe that. Others say is genetic or a lack of protein. I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me:

1. What is it called?
2. Is it infectious?
3. Have you had fish with this 'disease?'
4. Can it be cured?

Water is good. I do weekly water changes. And there is nothing wrong.

Any thoughts welcome.
Thank you.

Attachments

• image-2759932202.jpg
    image-2759932202.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,210
  • Screen%20shot%202013-03-18%20at%206_22_36%20PM.png
    Screen%20shot%202013-03-18%20at%206_22_36%20PM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_1105.jpe
    IMG_1105.jpe
    10.5 KB · Views: 646
  • imagesCA5K0P95.jpe
    imagesCA5K0P95.jpe
    7.5 KB · Views: 623
Welcome to AA!! I do not keep guppies and have no personal experience with this, however, there are a couple of ideas behind symptoms. Genetics/inbreeding are one possibility. There is no cure for this and I honestly would euthanize any affected fish to prevent the possibility of these traits being propagated.

Serious dietary deficiencies is another possibility. If fish have been fed an appropriate commercial food through out their lives, this is very unlikely. Which leaves disease as the remaining possibility, such as TB or another serious ailment with similar symptoms. TB is not treatable. Only a veterinarian could positively identify fish TB. Once again, euthanasia is the only viable option here.

In the pics above, fish #1 is extremely ill and is suffering. Fish #4 is in close second. Fish #2 and #3 have definitive spinal curvatures- whether this will progress further into illness or remain static as a symptom of genetic deformity, I do not know. Please ask if you have more questions!

Back
Top Bottom