(if this ends up being a double post, sorry, i'll fix it.)
What do you guys suggest for a serious case of Ich?
My South American Puffer has suffered from the curse for about 10 days now, but I've cured all the other fish in the aquarium already (i hope). he didn't have Ich from the start, i think he got it about 2 weeks after introducing him to the aquarium. Apparently they're pretty susceptible to Ich, and being scaleless the normal medications aren't suggested in their normal quantities, but I've been doing it anyways. So far I've:
- removed carbon
- Malachite-green (as recommended on bottle) (the walmart brand of ich cure)
- salt baths
- Tank temp up to 85 F.
- Aquarium Salt (first as directed 1 tablespoon to every 5g. but now have gone up to 3 TBSP / 1 gallon) gradually of course.
- Victoria green / nitromersol (full dosages) (ie. Ick Guard)
- primafix and melafix for secondary bacter
- done numerous vacuuming and water changes to remove ich cysts. also (not related to ich) switched over to a sand/flourite substrate. I had a combination of pea gravel (from lowes) actual aquarium gravel, and sand, but the pea gravel was too large and harsh on the plant roots, so i used a cat box scooper (unused) to sift out most of the large gravel and then added a 1-2 inch layer of sand on top of that. here's to hoping i took some ich out with the gravel. I also did about a 40% water change during all this.
Lately I've been dosing less of the meds and just sticking to the salt and temp raise. I disinfected my aquarium decorations with potassium permanganate. Which is apparently hard on live plants, but mine seemed to do ok. (The funny part was that the chemical was sold at walmart as a water odor and cloudiness remover).
I think my next step will be a medication/salt/bucket dip with an air stone and heater. I'll probably siphon off two or three gallons of tank water into a bucket, plop in an extra 50 watt heater and air stone, medicate with malachite green and let him chill in there for a few days. I'm still doing research as to the length of time for treatment, but seeing as how I've done all this other stuff I'm pretty sure this is my next step.
BTW my water tests as of 1/19/11, 11 am:
ammonia .25 ppm
nitrate 5-20 ppm
( all the colors look the same)
29 gallon tank, sand / flourite substrate, some shale and driftwood
☺still cycling with 0 nitrite, 7.4pH, 10-20 ppm
nitrate, 0 ammonia. up and running for a month now.
☺Sun Sun HW-303A canister filter 1400/Lph (93g/h)
☺100 Watt heater
☺coralife lighting with 10k and 6.7k blubs
☻1 Dwarf Gourami
☻4 Ballon Mollies 1 male 3 femail
☻1 lyretail Mollie male (clinically insane)
☻1 South American Puffer