What does my fish have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panda1205

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I have a 10 gallon tank set up as the sick fish tank and in it right now is my mom's goldfish that has something wrong with him but I'm not sure what it is. I attached a photo of him its not very clear but what he looks like is: he is a solid orange fish but now he has black splotches on his dorsal fin and his sides, part of his tail is gone, and he's not eating. So any ideas on what he has.

Attachments

• photo(8).jpg
    photo(8).jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 82
He has fin rot #1. Are the black spots indented or scales missing? He may have injured himself or else I am not sure because I haven't seen this before.

What is your stocking in the 10 gallon? I would say a 10 gallon is too small for a goldfish alone.

What are your water parameters, Ammonia, pH, Nitrates, and Nitrites? How frequent are water changes/vac?

A clean tank will help with any type of fish bacterial/fungal infection.

He's in the 10 gallon tank alone there are no other fish in the tank at all. As for the levels in the tank I don't know what they are and he is getting another water change today which will make it two so far. Also he's not really a big goldfish. As for the black splotches I would say that they a bit of both because near his tail he is missing some scales.

Ok. Still I would say sometime in the near future to try to invest in a larger tank. But do you have a local fish store or a pet store near you? You can look up different medications that are good for fin rot, which should help the problem near the tail I believe also and you can pick the medication up and follow the directions on the back to treat the fish.

Probably one of the most important parts of keeping a fish tank is having a Master Test Kit. You can find one in a local store. I would get the API Master Test Kit and not strips as the strips are often incorrect. Ammonia and Nitrites should be at 0. Nitrates should be at .20, and pH depends on the fish you have. He could be stressed due to water conditions and that is why he is ill.

Do you use water conditioner when you put new water in the tank?

The black areas are likely ammonia burns but he has severe fin rot as well. Without knowing the parameters, its a bit difficult to further advise. I would start with 50% water changes daily with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. You will also need need to treat with a decent antibiotic. Do you have a decent lfs near you so we can make further recommendations?

well I'm broke right now so I can't buy anything. And he was originally in 45 gallon tank but I couldn't treat him is there because my mom has crabs and I learned that you can't treat fish if you have crabs in the tank because crabs can't handle medicine. And the only way I can find out the levels is if I got to a pet store and have them test it for me.

If your mom will help you out, water conditioner is really needed, and you can buy a small bottle to start with. You should go to the pet store and get your water tested and it can help us give more answers.

Back
Top Bottom