What happened to angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my angelfish has suddenly developed some sort of rot or something. It's still alive but barely. I have it in s quarantine tank. What is this disease and is there treatment?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429105148.280472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Assuming your water chemistry is fine (and I'd be running ammonia and ph tests asap just in case), then my thought would be bacterial. It's not fungal or parasites so comes back to bacterial, water chemistry or has been mauled by other fish somehow.

Looking at the redness in the scales and eye, you could try antibiotics but not sure on chances there.

Thanks for reply. His tail fin had been nipped by another fish, maybe that's what's driving it. Chemistry is good in tank. I'll try some antibiotics and cross fingers, but not too optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely a secondary bacterial infection from the bites. :( I'd try using Nitrofurazone ( Furan-2 or Jungle's Fungus Guard) as it works against both gram - & gram + bacteria.
In all honesty, fish that get this way rapidly, usually do not have a high survival rate. I would still try, however, as you never know. Reducing the water temp a few degrees can also help slow the growth of the bacteria and prevent any further damage while the fish tries to recuperate.

Hope this helps. (y)

Sorry to hear :( As I said, when it's rapid, the chances are slim but still there. I would get a package of Furan-2 ( get one with a far off expiration date) to keep on hand if this happens again. Treating immediately may have made a difference. Who knows for sure. But it is also good for any other bacterial type infections or as a preventative to any secondary infections of a wound or parasite breakout. (y)

I agree. I think it was good news you got that fish into QT but unfortunately the bacteria will still be in your main tank. The fish are healthy and just fight it off.

Sooo, keeping tank conditions stable, keeping temp stable or slightly lower, minimising feeding if there is waste left over, not using bacteria in a bottle and extra water changes will also help.

Possible water parameters at fault? Appears to be severe rot to me, an api test would tell the tale. No disrespect, I'm just a realist, I've seen these symptoms in toxic tanks.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be doing extra water changes, lower temps a bit. Everybody else looks healthy at the moment. If I do notice more infection, is the Furan -2 safe for plants?

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be doing extra water changes, lower temps a bit. Everybody else looks healthy at the moment. If I do notice more infection, is the Furan -2 safe for plants?

I don't believe it's safe for plants and it will inhibit the bacteria bed as well. Fish with this kind of infection should be treated in a bare hospital tank anyway. And FYI, the dye from the med will also stain the silicone in the tank.

If more fish come down with this condition, you may need to do some other form of antibiotic that is plant and nitrifying bacteria safe or strip out the tank or possibly use potassium perm., but we are talking about in an extreme case so don't jump to conclusions :blink:. Diseases like this often times are the result of a wound getting infected. The infection is usually from dirty or unhealthy tank conditions stressing the fish. Not saying that your tank is not good but if more fish come down with this, you may want to do more in depth research on why. Healthy fish in healthy tanks can usually recover from an injury with little to no outside interference. Your fish, being such an extreme case, points to something else going on as well.

Hope this helps (y)

The water parameters normally are fine. We were just away for a week so maybe there was an issue with the feeding. I changed out the water when I got back Saturday, noticed the fish not doing well Monday. Maybe something had set in already

It's odd.

I will often have a fish lost while away for a week. Auto feeder (same food) is only difference. Everything else is on timers.

Back
Top Bottom