What if parasite guard doesn't work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had a small attack of internal parasites in my established 10g tank lately. I don't know the parameters, I left my test kit at school. It took down two of my platies over the past few weeks and I'm worried about my current one that's sick. he's thinning out and has been spending a lot of time on the bottom of my aquarium lately.

I used Tetra Parasite Guard a week ago when I noticed wasting disease in one of my other platies. He died and then I didn't follow through for the second dose (poor choice, I know). The second one died a few days ago.

How will I know Parasite Guard has worked? Is there something else I should do to help my fish?
I gave it the second tablet last night.. should I give it a third if I don't see signs of improvement?

Unfortunately, unless you know what parasite you are fighting, you're just stabbing in the dark. Have you seen any worms or anything besides the wasting? Different parasites respond to different meds. Could you dissect one if you lose another, to see what might be inside?

I haven't seen any worms, just wasting.
Originally I thought this was a case of fish TB but I haven't really seen any curving of the spine, save for one fish who got wrapped around the filter and was kind of stuck like that when I netted him out.

I have no means to dissect any of my fish :/

He's been nibbling. Today he didn't. I believe they are Tetra color enhancing flakes. I'm not at home though so I can't check. But I'm pretty sure it's Tetra!

Not recently with my master kit. I have test strips and my ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates were 5 when I used those. They're not the most reliable but they'll do I guess.

Update,

He's currently lying on the floor of my aquarium, kind of wiggling around but not going anywhere. Just bounced around a bit. His gills are moving pretty fast... I don't think he's going to make it :/

He's my last platy. I have a dwarf gourami and 6 neons who all seem to be okay, despite how shy one neon and my gourami are. Hopefully the medication worked and will stop the spread of the parasites. I know livebearers are prone to them so it makes sense that it's only affected them.

Back
Top Bottom