Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
What is going on?

My BIG Australian Rainbow (they VERY sexually active one) I noticed was acting very strange to me. I look closely...and it seems as if she can't close her mouth. It is gaped open, and she seems to be flaring out her gills when she does breath...of which this seems to be heavier than normal as well.

Other than that, she trys to eat...but I don't think does so well....It's almost like you can see her jaw muscle at the bottom of her mouth..that you can't see on any of the other fish. It has gotten progressively worse lately, and she has become dull. Not interested in the other fish like she used to...just sits alone, but still swims around VERY actively when she does actually swim. I have had this rainbow for more than a year...she is beautiful and all so I'd like to try and figure this out.

Water parameters are fine...nitratres climbing a little, but that can be easily fixed with a water change. Temp is a little low..I think my heater is getting ready to conk out...Any help would be appreciated..I will try and get a picture when i get home from work if you think that would help!

Thanks alot!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like the signs of illness, probably a bacterial infection. Columnaris typically affects the mouth. These things can progress very quickly. I would recommend starting antibiotics as soon as possible, preferably in a quarantine tank. Maracyn (erythromycin) or Kanacyn is usually recommended for columnaris infection. HTH

Old 06-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Some fish can get lock-jaw and it either goes away or it doesn't.
On the other hand, look closely at the mouth--is anything growing around it? Does it look like it is being eaten away?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

No, definitley not being eaten away I don't think....the skin sorta looks transparent under the mouth...but no signs of infection anywhere. This first thing I actually thought of was lock-jaw...but I was just thinkin =)

If this is lock-jaw...is there any way to treat it? Anything I can do at all? She tries to eat..but I don't know how much of it gets down.

Thank for your help!

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Just a little update: This fish is now almost gasping it seems at the top of the tank..but only periodically... I didn't notice this before. I tried to get a picture, but she won't stay still long enough for me to get one.

Is there something I can do?

Thanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com