What is going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
In referance to this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=97558

The pristella died and one of the madagascar rainbows died as well. What the heck is going on!?!?!

Yes my dad and I recently added some new fish, plants, and lighting. The fish have shown no physical signs of ailment(other than awkward behaviour), and I have lost 4 fish in a week now!!! Please help me! All my water paramaters are perfect...what is wrong with my tank!? My dad leaves town for a business trip for 1 week and all hell breaks loose in our tank :(

had a big loss myself awhile back of tetras right after i added some new ones was called neon tetra disease look up my threads for the link killed lots of my fish. one thing iv been doing is keeping my temps around 79 instead of 82 my new lighting raises the temp 2 degrees so i lowered my heaters. also 50% water change once a week seems to make the tetras way more active was doing 25% before the extra 25% really helped and aint lost a fish sense . had bad driftwood also removed it. but some of my fish had the neon tetra disease curved spine on the one and my ottos ate hime up before i could remove him and the got tail rot and where dieing look up my post to find the link if ya cant find it ill post it here

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/neondisease.htm

here are today's casualties

img_797007_0_8899fefdfc1a4a9d9f9777c387507f11.jpg

2 days ago I lost my last emperor tetra, and 2 days before that we lost our last threadfin rainbow :( Thinks aren't looking good

Okay...so neon tetra disease is a possibility, what can I do? How can I tell if a fish is infected? This doesn't look good at all guys :(

Moved to the Unhealthy Fish Forum. Please answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the page. It will give us a better understanding of your setup.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Well...I've lost an emperor tetra, a threadfin rainbow, a pristella tetra, and a madagascar rainbow. The Emperor tetra looked like it had tail rot(which I was treating with melafix). The Threadfin rainbow showed no signs of illness. The Pristella began swimming in a near vertical position most of the time. The Madagascar rainbow(as well as my 3 others) swam near the top of the surface and showed no interest in food.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Ammonia:0 Nitrite:0 Nitrate:20 Temp: 77 PH:7.2
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 29g tank setup for 2 years.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. UGF
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? At this time: 3 madagascar rainbow, 1 pristella tetra, 2 bala sharks, 2 red tail black sharks, 2 golden algae eaters, 1 black angel, 2 cherry barbs, 2 cory cats, 2 scissortails, 2 ramshorn snails, 1 black skirt tetra, 2 black neon tetras, 2 silvertip tetras.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I did a 50% water change 2 days ago after the Emperor Tetra died.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? I've had the pristella tetra, cherry barbs, black angel, snails, cory cats, black skirt, black neons for quite some time. The bala sharks, golden algae eaters, red tail blacks, scissortails, and silvertip tetras have been in the tank for 1-2 weeks.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? New fish, switched fake plants for real, new lighting(22w to 65w CF)
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Flake food.

another rainbow just flopped belly up on the bottom...he's alive, however I don't think he's going to last long:(

Update

Well..the last rainbow died today, hopefully they just didn't like the water levels because they were the only ones that seemed to be affected. The rest of my fish seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom