What is growing on my Blue Danio's face?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gdvsbp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Answers to questions underlined below.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
One male Blue Dannio. There is a fast-growing lump/knob behind his jaw on the bottom. It's pink.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
I'm afraid I don't know. Room temp.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
2.5 gal tank. Set up for a year.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
Unknown -- came with tank (Aqueon LED MiniBow Aquarium). It's an aqueon, uses the mini size filter pad. Haven't been able to find them for standalone purchase anywhere.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Two Blue Danios total, one female and one male (this one). Both 1-1/2-to-2" long.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Complete water change every 2-3 weeks. Partial water change (~20%) to get detritus out sometime between full water change intervals.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Had fish for a year. Only fish.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
TetraMin Plus tropical flakes for entire time we've owned them. No changes.

Now then, my male Danio developed a lump behind the lower jaw about 1.5 weeks ago. It has quickly grown into what you see here (photo attached). What is going on? I'm at a loss, and the internet has been unusually unhelpful. Any information or hunches at all would be appreciated.

IMG-0910.jpg

Back
Top Bottom