What is the lifespan of fish food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasgood

Aquarium Advice Freak
The reason I ask is this. I ordered some food from big al's. The HBH Cichlid Attack small sinking pellets ordered was about 1.0 oz in size. They sent me a 28 oz can. I cant hope to use it all up in a year.
Can I freeze some of it?
How long will it keep if not frozen?

I would definitely freeze it. I think fish food does not last as long as we tend to keep it sitting there - I ALWAYS overestimate what size container to get. I would think 6 months would be max, but you can freeze the majority of it for now and see how quickly you go through 2-3 tablespoons-ful.

I would freeze it. I also keep all my fish food in the fridge and I think that helps (at least the cats cannot eat it :roll:).
Did they bill you for what you ordered, or for what they sent?

I wouldnt reccomend freezing pellet or flake type foods, as the fat soluable vitamins get quickly damaged, and over time feeding food such as this can cause fatal "fatty liver" in fish. Rather keep in the fridge in an airtight container for best results. :) Most foods stored like this shouldnt be kept longer than 6 months however. What i would suggest if possible is to find a fellow fishkeeper to give/sell part of the food to so it doesnt go to waste. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom