What is this???!!!???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well today I woke up to find that my large black moot maybe 5 or 6 inches long was stuck inside one of my decorations. One of this fins got stuck and ripped out a chuck I've took him out and trimmed the mangled tail fin. And now there is this white "stuff" on his dorsal fin and nearing the top of his head. Could he have scratched his head inside the decoration. Or is it something else.
My gear

Tank.- 29 gallon
Filter- Aquaclear 300 and aqua tech 10-15 gals total 85 gals of filtration
Stock - black moot goldfish two Cory catfish and some ghost shrimp.
Heater-tetra 15-20 gal
Tank temp-76
Water- I just did a 50% water change

Parameters? Water change schedule? Can you possibly post a pic so we can see what is going on?

Unfortunately, fancies can and will get stuck almost anywhere. Even places they can not fit into or places you would never consider to be a source of trouble or you would never ever imagine. Make sure you remove the offending décor and anything else that even remotely may pose a problem.

I don't have any test strips or a kit so I can't get the parameters. But my water change schedule is 50-60 percent one every week. It does seem to be getting a little better tho.

image-986639579.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Increase the wcs to 50% daily and it should clear up on its own within a week. I would stick to a 50%+ wc schedule twice a week after everything has cleared as he is getting pretty big now. :)

Thanks for the pic! Increase the wcs to 50% daily and it should clear up on its own within a week. I would stick to a 50%+ wc schedule twice a week after everything has cleared as he is getting pretty big now. :)

Ok sounds good. Do you know what it is. And he sure is he's almost one and a half years old now. So I've grown pretty close to him.

The white areas where he scraped himself just appear to be a mild infection (if anything). It also looks he has a red scrape on his side but it may just be the pic. I occasionally see this on my moors and it is nothing that lots of healthy water will not cure. A bit more common when nitrate levels get a bit too high and its something that would likely go unnoticed on a gold or white goldfish but on a black moor, its very obvious.

Just change the water daily until it clears. If it does not improve in the next week or becomes worse/he develops new symptoms, just let us know! :)

The white areas where he scraped himself just appear to be a mild infection (if anything). It also looks he has a red scrape on his side but it may just be the pic. I occasionally see this on my moors and it is nothing that lots of healthy water will not cure. A bit more common when nitrate levels get a bit too high and its something that would likely go unnoticed on a gold or white goldfish but on a black moor, its very obvious.

Just change the water daily until it clears. If it does not improve in the next week or becomes worse/he develops new symptoms, just let us know! :)
Ok thanks very much!

Back
Top Bottom