What is this? Sick fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wabyrd

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed this today on one of my fish. I'm not sure what it is. It's a 50 gallon tank with 40 fish. Mixture of Mollys, Platys, and a few Dannios. I have 5 tuxuedo Platys and this is only on one of them. None of the other fish seem ill, and this one is swimming happily still. None of the fish have ever seemed aggressive, so i'm not thinking its from other fish attacking it. None of the other fish have this on them. I've posted two high res pics of the fish. If anybody can help as to what it is and how to treat it. I have the fish currently isolated in a separate tank.

Pic one:
http://www.billandheather.net/fish1.jpg

Pic two:
http://www.billandheather.net/fish2.jpg

Thanks!

Not sure from those pics, is it like something fuzzy on him (fungus)?

Or more like a flesh wound, few scales missing, can see flesh?

Erither way I'd go with Melafix or Marycyn II. Follow directions on box, full treatment.

2 Thumbs up for the isolation treatment, gotta keep the sick guys alone when possible!

It doesn't appear to be fuzzy like a fungus. There was what looked like one scale hanging from him, but it fell off before I got the picture taken.

Too Late. Treat the whole tank?

The tuxuedo Platy died. I examined him, and didn't really feel a lump on him. It really looked more like a flesh wound. I also found a black Molly in my tank floating with the same whitish spot on him. After a much closer inspection of the fish in my tank, I didn't see any other signs of infection. Should I treat the entire tank as a precaution? I'd really hate to lose the whole tank to an infection.

Should I treat the entire tank as a precaution? I'd really hate to lose the whole tank to an infection.

Tough call, I'm not sure. It's always hard to decide to treat a whole tank, I prefer not to, but sometimes its the only choice. That said, personally, I'd closely observe for the next week, and if you see the sligtest sign of this on any other fish, start treatment right away.

Also, I'd do a large water change now, prolly 50% or so. If there is an infection, this should cut the numbers of free-floating bacteria/virus/whatever. Sometimes thats all thats needed to let the tank balance itself out, and defeat the disease naturally.

Lost another fish today. Dorsal fin was almost completely gone. A spot on his side appeared fuzzy. I have another black molly that's got a white spot starting to show. I got some Maracyn II and decided to treat the whole tank. Hopefully I won't lose any more.

Partial water change is the first thing you should do before each treatment...try changing 25% first and start the first treatment...next day 10% and treatment...keep doing this every day until no more fish show any signs of illness in your case the white spot...if that doesnt help you can give your fish a salt bath for about 30 minutes in a bucket .... change 50 % of your water in the tank and put the fish back in the tank after the 50% water change...and clean the gravel...keep giving them salt baths every other day and keep changing water in your tank....
p.s. you might want to check the pH level to make sure it's not too acidic for he fish...goodluck

Back
Top Bottom