What is wrong with my balloon molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulandKeri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lately my balloon molly's belly has gotten extra large. For a while I just thought she was pregnant. Now I am starting to wonder if I was right. She is so large that she can't swim upright. She faces the floor instead. And she is have A LOT of trouble swimming. I looked on the internet and read something about shimmy but I don't want to treat her for something that may not be wrong with her. I also have heard that they can get some sort of tumor. I am getting really worried and would appreciate any help. I also attached some pics to help out.

Attachments

• dsc02227.jpg
    dsc02227.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 362
  • dsc02291.jpg
    dsc02291.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 500
Her fins are not sticking out. I've had a fish have dropsy before and she doesn't really look like she has it. She has been getting bigger for a couple weeks now and we thought we might be feeding her too much, so we decreased her food a bit but she continued to get bigger. She has just suddenly started swimming strange. She looks like she is swimming really fast but isn't really going anywhere.

You could try feeding some peas to her. Nuked in the microwave and without the skin, just the mush. That would relieve any constipation issues she might have. Keep an eye on the fins however.

I would use a broad spectrum antibiotic. Also maybe some salt. If the fish isn't pooping you could try peas or even fast for a few days. Make sure you do lots of water changes during treatment.

Thanks for all the great advice. I did not even think about swim bladder, but from the pictures and everything I have read about it now it sounds like that is was she has. I have started to treat her. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom