What is wrong with my cory catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the picture his tail is gone and his bottom half is red. He swims awkwardly and hangs out near the top.

ForumRunner_20120707_082701.jpg

I don't know but looks bad. I would probably move to a sick tank. Is it an injury? What other tank mates do u have? What are your perimeters?

What are his tank mates? Could he be getting attacked by one of them? Are you able to QT him? I would think If he has an injury he could get an infection that could contaminate your tank, just a thought.

It is a 29 gallon, 13neons/cardinal tetras, 4diamond tetras, 1platy,1dwarf guorami, 1 bristlenose pleco, 5 cory catfish, and 1blue ram. Parameter are 0,0,20 for nitrates. It might be my pleco I saw him sucking on a diamond tetra that was close to being dead

I reckon it's the pleco, gourami or blue ram. If you have quarantine I would do it. Make sure to medicate him with only half the recommended dose because they are scaleless fish.

I don't think it is the ram or guorami. I do not have a qt tank. I guess he will have to heal on his own. If he gets really bad I will euthanize it.

Samzter said:
I reckon it's the pleco, gourami or blue ram. If you have quarantine I would do it. Make sure to medicate him with only half the recommended dose because they are scaleless fish.

The rams are usually nice to other bottom dwelling fish but can be territorial at times. He needs to be moved until that heals up

All fish have temperaments, no one really knows what happens when the light goes off. None of the other fish species could inflict that much damage .

Samzter said:
All fish have temperaments, no one really knows what happens when the light goes off. None of the other fish species could inflict that much damage .

Agreed. I don't believe it is the blue ram. What I was really stating is what you said perfectly. Know one knows when the lights are out. However, I have no doubt that one or multiple fish can inflict that much damage. I've seen it fist hand. I had a killifish ruin a much larger bosemani rainbow in one day of fighting.

If I had somewhere to move him I would. He is still hanging around his back half of his body does nit look that red, he os still just laying still most of the time though

Tupperware

Perhaps Tupperware with holes drilled in the bottom, floated at the top of your tank? I did that with my fry, didn't cost me a cent. He gets clean water, a chance to heal. I have mine high enough so I could use regular tape to keep it secured to the rim of the tank.
I actually used colored tupperware Gold chrsitmas stuff. (blush) So its not see through.

I tried to float one of m corys ( before i had qt) in my breeders box and he was stressed from seeing all the fish below him, just a though

Update:

His redness went away. He is still staying in the same spot a lot of the time, but I did see him swimming around for food and eating. He might make it after all. I almost put him out of his misery but he swam away from my net so I left him.

He never laid on his back, when I first saw him he was near the top but he has not gone there since.

Back
Top Bottom