What is wrong with my red eye?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I fed them this morning, and I come now to feed and this red eye tetra is acting all crazy and he is spinning?! What is wrong with him, he is moving and spinning in a very wild way, it's like he is trying to stay upright, but he just goes upside down, what is wrong with him? Thanks
img_2543274_0_e0312f444e4482c0b9ecf64b4edd95df.jpg
img_2543274_1_ccfef3771427b92a07babc177250206c.jpg
img_2543274_2_a33e168a320fa79414cdf3b77f22d2f6.jpg
img_2543274_3_f49e850706ebfc8634da0833cafd9721.jpg
img_2543274_4_e036b3c7a511b46fd96cde8380d40121.jpg

could very well be swim bladder disorder when that happens they cant control themselves try fasting for a day or so ive had it happen with a couple of danios before and cleared right up some people take a day of the week to not feed fish to prevent swim bladder issues

Hmmm I was expecting something like that thanks a lot for the advice!
I feed them a pinch of flakes 2 times a day, is it ok If I fast them tomorrow and not feed them every Sunday?

That will be good. Maybe cut back on feeding daily. Try half a pinch 2 times a day or even 1 time. Taking a day off is a very good idea. Which ever day you pick, stick with it

Ok thanks for all this!

I guess I'll cut it down to half a pinch twice a day
I'll fast all my fish tomorrow
And I'll skip feeding time on Sundays thanks!

Try to get stuff that sinks. I have had a way better mortality rate with food that sinks then I had with food that floats(flakes) I use brine shirmp,blood worms, and the pellets. But you have to keep your tank clean with the pellets, they will grow fungus if you let them sit to long. IMO :) good luck bro.

Thanks for the info!

Why? Are flakes bad for them?
Also, the tetras are top swimmers and don't really come down, how do I get them to eat pellets?

Flakes are fine they are not bad for them, but in my experience when the fish feed off the top of the water to much, I kept loosing fish due to swim bladder issues. Since I started feeding sinking foods I haven't lost any fish. And this is just my experience I'm not a pro by a long shot.

Do you feed tubifex at all? I hope that it is a swim bladder issue, but have a look at whirling disease (maybe see a YouTube video or two) and compare. Here's hoping your fish is back to his healthy happy self again soon.

Back
Top Bottom