What on earth?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
2 days ago I noticed a rosy Tetra's body had turned white where it's tail begins at is body. Tonight I see the whole tail fin is missing!! It's still working hard at swimming around, eating, but geez!

No other symptoms and nobody else seems ill.

Now maybe you're thinking "body turned white days ago and you didn't do anything?" Fair question.

The tank is 2 years old and has been well kept. Fish less cycle, water changes, frequently tested and stable water conditions. NLS Thera A Food. No ammonia/nitrite ever since the tank cycled. GH/KH 3-4 through supplementing my very soft water. Nitrates 20 ish. Plants, off and on use of Excel, Flourish.

Lately every 2 weeks or so I've been losing a glowlight Tetra. Once a harlequin rasbora. That was a different thread, verdict = old age. They don't show many symptoms just start having trouble swimming then decline slowly. I have a few of each now that just look ... Well, old.

I was concerned about NTD about a year ago, one got a white body. But it recovered. Nobody else showed symptoms.

There are angelfish, they are the newest additions. They were teeny (smaller than the Rosy Tetras) back in October. They haven't been aggressive.

Thoughts? I've tended to let them hospice in the main tank because being in a hospital tank alone without plants seems to stress them more.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Well that didn't last long. Died a bit ago. Glad it isn't suffering.

Wondering a little now however if I'm mistaken about the others dying because 2 years is a decent run for PetSmart fish. But if it's infectious could it be taking one fish every few weeks with different symptoms?

Well that didn't last long. Died a bit ago. Glad it isn't suffering.

Wondering a little now however if I'm mistaken about the others dying because 2 years is a decent run for PetSmart fish. But if it's infectious could it be taking one fish every few weeks with different symptoms?

Hard to say what's going there. What is your current stock at the moment? When was the last addition? Did the problems occur before or after the latest addition? How long do you QT each new fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh dear. Not dead. Was just resting in a nook. Very hard to catch without tearing apart the tank. Whole tail fin is gone, white stump remains and looks awful. I think it's clear what needs to happen as soon as I can catch it. :(

Hard to say what's going there. What is your current stock at the moment? When was the last addition? Did the problems occur before or after the latest addition? How long do you QT each new fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just saw this.

56 gallon has ...

2 angelfish, added 5 months ago

Everyone else 1-2 years in tank:
8-9 harlequin rasbora
6-7 glowlight tetras
2 (now) rosy tetras (similar to candy cane)
5 danios (orange finned variety of zebra)
4 laos multi striped loach (tiny guys)
4-6 Otos

Lots of plants, moderate MTS population.

The wounded one kept swimming, the section of tail that had turned white seemed to be detaching from where the body was healthy. When I pulled it out the edges where the tail fin was gone were white but the spot where the dead-looking flesh was separating from the healthy-looking was a little bloody.

The rest of the body looked completely healthy and it was making its way - eating, swimming by madly beating its tail stump, then occasionally pinning itself under a cavelike area, nose down, as if resting.

No other casualties. It looked like its tail just died one day, and then the fin came off, and the rest was about to come off. No obvious damage (like a bite) at the spot where the tail died. It was so sudden it makes me suspect injury. But who knows.

Back
Top Bottom