What`s going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my double tailed guppies, one had been attacked and had 1 tail removed but at the time I had some females in the tank so the makes were scrapping and I also had some bettas. Well I got rid of everything that could have been a problem (i think) and now I only have mollies, guppies and plecs yet I've just come down this morning to find the same poor thing has had its other tail tore off?? Quite close to its body too. Anyone have any idea what's happening?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would keep an eye on the mollies :/ I had to take mine back to the fish shop because she kept attacking my corys. She was ok until there was food in the tank, then she turned vicious.

Yeah I was thinkin it might be one of them but I've no way of knowing for sure coz it happened at night. I always watch them feeding and there's no hassle there, to be honest the they've never hassled the guppies. The only other thing I've observed is the male Molly is harassing the female Molly and putting on a show with his fins. Is this a mating ritual? If it is then I suppose that could explain some aggression?

Im Believing the suspects are the Mollies and the Filter.

Mollies are one of the more aggressive livebearers, known to pick or attack other fish in the aquarium. Ive also had a molly that picked on my cories (Chasing and Nipping), it also (In another tank) chased a young red eye tetra, trying to mate.

The filter (Depending on your filter) could've also tore the fins. The filter intake could've caught the tail and tore it up, Ive had this happen 3 times with bettas, but simple sponge over the intake fixed the solution.

I would recommend to do a PWC everyday to make the water as clean as you can get it (Helps with the healing of torn fins), If any Bacteria infections or Fungal infections start I recommend to use Pimafix (Anti-fungal fish remedy) or Melafix (antibacterial remedy).

Sad update: the little Guppy finally died today :( it did survive a week with no tail so it did well. Now the other double is all lonely so think its gonna be a trip to the lfs today.

Im sorry for your loss :( Make sure to do a PWC just in case any ammonia escaped into the aquarium when the fish died.

Back
Top Bottom