What’s wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saradrian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a balloon Molly that’s been having balance issues. I’m assuming a swim bladder thing. I give him peas and he acts fine for a day then he’s back to the wobbles. Just now I discovered what looks like a zit on his side.

Attachments

• 5E907241-711B-4EEC-AA73-BFABE69481AE.jpg
    5E907241-711B-4EEC-AA73-BFABE69481AE.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 18
Could you give some more information on the tank please.

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Yes

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
PH: 6.6
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
Temp is 72 degrees

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

The tank is 60 gal and was set up early December so it’s a new setup.

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

The filtration I’m using is a Marineland Emperor

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

7 neon tetra
2 balloon Molly
5 gold X-ray
5 zebra danio
1 blue dwarf gourami
2 glofish
2 albino corydora
2 pleco
2 khuli loach
1 mystery snail

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

My water level was a bit low so I added 4gal of distilled water today

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I’ve had some of these fish since July, my newest fish I got in December. I acclimate my fish by floating them in the bag around an hour to temp adjust.

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

I’ve added nothing new to the tank

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I feed them the same thing which is a variety of:

Flakes
Bug bites or shrimp/lobster pellets
Blood worms
Algae wafers

Everyone likes something different and also eats from top, middle, bottom so I accommodate everyone as I am able.

I feed the greediest first with blood worms, then the flakes for the middle feeders, and the greedy worm eaters join the flake eaters when their worms are gone and lastly the bottom feeders.

No diet changes, this is what we’ve been doing

Here are some photos

Attachments

• 3AB98545-F049-432D-B486-D46FAADF385F.jpg
    3AB98545-F049-432D-B486-D46FAADF385F.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 792D4C9B-01E3-4E6C-89D3-3F86D733812F.jpg
    792D4C9B-01E3-4E6C-89D3-3F86D733812F.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 19
  • ADA6BFA2-FB26-41B0-8FF9-5F51A9C48796.jpg
    ADA6BFA2-FB26-41B0-8FF9-5F51A9C48796.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 23
So I caught him with the net and did a very felts wipe which he seemed to have an “Ahhhhhh that feels good” reaction because he truly laid there and seemed glad for it and it went away. I couldn’t feel a thing in terms of any roughness or feeling a bump. I gave it two very gentle wipes and let him go and it seems to be gone and he’s swimming a little better too.

Back
Top Bottom