What should I do!? HELP please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
My female black molly was missing for 24 hours but we finally found her again! She has appeared at the top of the tank from somewhere, BUT she is covered in white spot when she was one of the ones who never really had any!

I asked at my LFS on Saturday what they had to help and the really informative guy there says Protozin I think it was that we bought, they use it on their tanks, and it's a 4 day treatment which clears it up brilliantly.

We have been adding daily amount for last 3 days. She looks tired and worn out basically... is this alright as this could be the treatment speeding the process up, I also raised temp a couple of degrees a few days ago. As I understand, the spots will fall off and become free floating parasites to infect new hosts... if the case should I continue treatment daily until then when the treatment can kill them or just end it after today's dose?

I don't want anymore fish to die!

Have you added any aquarium salt? Plattys are very hardy and adding some aquarium salt kills lots of bad organisms because they can't handle the salt content but the Plattys can. I am always real cautious about puting too many chemicals in an aquarium at once. The salt should help. Anyone else agree? :D

IMO, mollies are better in a brackish environment and are very prone to diseases when they are not.

If all you have is livebearers in your tank, I would definitely add 1 Tbsp of salt (helps with gill function) for every 5 gallons of water and then crank your heat up slowly to around 84-86.

The meds will not kill the parasite until the white spots (parasite) falls off the fish and into the gravel. Once you see there are no spots on your fish, I would recommend you do a good vacumming of your gravel, replace the water and add the proper amount of meds. HTH :D

Also remember that when you raise the temp (takes more O2 away from your fish), to add some additional aeration to the surface for O2.

Back
Top Bottom