whats she got

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

findad

Aquarium Advice Regular
whats wrong with my kriby girl?? she started acting funny about 4 days ago, checked the water, done a 10 gal change (out of 29). she quit eating and got this perplexed look.

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 57
Diet is random, something different each day and usually skip a day a week. mostly cichlid pellets or sticks, spirilla flakes, then once every couple of weeks a protein like blood worms or frozen brine shrimp

Just out of curiosity, is that .25 ammonia reading before or after the PWC?

tank is about 18 month old, and the test was before the water change

She could have over extended her jaw, by trying to fit something in it too large.
Or injured it fighting.

This Q&A at this site may help. Fish: Kribensis with lock-jaw, cichlid research, hospital tank

If the suggestion listed there does not help, I have also read you can feed her by a syringe filled with vitamin soaked food and a broad spectrum antibiotic, and hope it works itself out.

I asked what her diet was, because a staple diet of krill has been linked to lockjaw in predatory fish. This is only because it causes vitamin deficiency.

There are certain internal parasites and bacteria that can cause lockjaw in fish.
Hexamita, which causes hole-in-the-head, can cause lockjaw.
And Fish TB

The 2 conditions listed above usually have other notable symptoms though. It's likely she has injured herself, and if her jaw is broken, she may never recover. :(

Nice advice EscVelocity. That is exactly were you need to start your investigation.

Back
Top Bottom