Whats up with my Black Phantom Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got home this evening, turned on my tank light and noticed that one of my Black Phantom Tetra's was swimming quite high in the tank himself away from the rest. Then I couldn't help but noticed his colours were showing more, like a different shade, with almost like a blue tinge, but with a strange lighter area on him, like a patch. He goes back down to swim with the others, but then occasionally he will rise to the upper area of the tank again. He's swimming ok and not acting sickly.

He looks more bulkier as well. At first I thought it may be a pregnant female but I believe he is a male. One point he even chased a Rummynose Tetra away, this is behaviour I've never seen.

I've only had them 1 week (only completed my fishless cycle a week ago).

In my tank I have
9 x Black Phantoms
6 x Rummynose Tetras
1 x Hoplo Catsish
1 x BN plec

Here are pics below. First one is the Tetra in question and the other is another one to highlight the difference. The last one is him swimming in the upper area of tank..

Attachments

• IMG_5055.jpg
    IMG_5055.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5056.jpg
    IMG_5056.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5057.jpg
    IMG_5057.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 80
First of all let me ask some questions:

1) what are your parameters

2) has anybody else in that tank been acting strange

3) what tank size

First of all let me ask some questions:

1) what are your parameters

2) has anybody else in that tank been acting strange

3) what tank size

Parameters when I posted this last night were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10.

I removed him and put in a hospital tank but I could tell he wasn't gonna make it. Woke up this morning and I was right.

All others have been acting fine except the Black Phantoms some are staying low kinda in the same spot, hiding behind plants. I'm not sure of the typical characteristics of these fish but with mines their movements are little. The ratio I have now are 4 males / 4 females. They're eating fine, always first to the food. They won't swim above the level of the tallest plants.

Tank size is 200L / 53g

Well it may be bloat or pregnancy. Try feeding peas and or beans

Sorry you lost him.

I always do a PWC with Prime anytime I see an issue. Even if tests look fine.

Nothing on your stock list should be bullying them ?

What temp is the tank ?

Oh, sorry about the loss. I also misread your post. Hope the other fish are fine.

Back
Top Bottom