What's up with my cory's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently changed my gravel from a sand color to this black. Now my corys rarely leave this spot. There are actually 3, the other 3 are just a reflection. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454641970.053338.jpg
Do you think they aren't happy being so exposed? They are one of the main reasons I got the darker gravel in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My guess (that's all it is) is that they are afraid of either the new exposure the gravel causes or perhaps just the change in color itself, as in it's something unfamilar. I don't know if Cory's have color vision, but certainly they can discern changes of shade/tone.
If it's only been a few days they may get used to it. Are they eating? Is there any other change in tank dynamics besides the new gravel?
Hope things resolve, but if not, you may need to go back to the old gravel.

It's been in there a couple of weeks. They are eating and one will swim the walls occasionally. But there is usually always 2 in that spot. Nothing else has changed. I just thought they'd look cool against the black.

Do you have any plants/hidey holes? The change is substrate color could, I guess, leave them feeling exposed. If there are places for them to hide they may adjust better. Just a thought...can't tell from the pic if you have any cover or not.

Sorry for not responding sooner. Haven't been on the forum a few weeks.

Yes, they are. Actually I moved them to my daughters tank that has a much lighter substrate and they are just fine. Perhaps it was the black? Or perhaps they just like a smaller tank? Thank you for asking.

Back
Top Bottom