What's up with my pleco?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
My common pleco, 4", just went into a spasm attack. He jerked around and was slapping into the gravel and plants. WHAT'S GOING ON?!?! HE LOOKED LIKE HE WAS HAVING A HEART ATTACK?!?!?!?!

Have you tested your water recently? If you dont have a testing kit i would perform a substancial water change. You really do need a testing kit. How long have you had the tank setup?

It could also be paracites like gill flukes.
Your water test results would help alot.

I just did a 25% on Saturday, and a 10% change on Monday. I checked my parameters, and they all seemed normal. Nitrate and Nitrite were at 0 ppm, and ph was about 7.5. My tank has been running about a month and a half now. I've had neon and glolight in it the whole ride until it evened out, then I got my pleco in it. I recently had a dwarf gourami die similarly, (jerking about, spasming), and I waited, then bought a new fully adult Blue Gourami and new plants. It is now heavily planted (check my tank pics on my page) and I have zero aggression. It is a 30 g and I have a 5 gallon with a Betta with 2 month old water. Should I move the pleco in to the 5 g until he chills, or what?

I also noticed the pleco's mouth area was slightly redder than usual. And his "lips" were white.

I do not know the ammonia. The test kit that my LFS told me was best at its price had everything else but ammonia. I'm trying to order an ammonia test kit soon.

I do not know the ammonia. The test kit that my LFS told me was best at its price had everything else but ammonia. I'm trying to order an ammonia test kit soon.

I'd err in the side if caution and do larger water changes+ increase the dose of prime according to the directions for detoxifying ammonia.

Update: his mouth is locked against his bony. Meaning instead of puffing his mouth out, it is stuck tight. Also, he was swimming sideways at the top of the tank in circles.

I actually think you have an ammonia problem. Fish will thrash, try to jump and all sorts of crazy stuff with ammonia in the water. If your gourami just died the same way you want to be eliminating possible causes, you should have doubled your routine. If you do 15% weekly, make it 30% twice a week.

Do more water changes. You say your nitrates were 0? This is only possible in the most heavy planted tabks with low bioload. Did you do your test correctly? If you dont have a nitrate test you wont be able to get an idea of when and how much water needs changing each week. Your tanks only been set up a 6weeks give or take, this is still very early.

So I need to do a very large change tomorrow? And I need to get a test kit, not test strips? Wish I'd known test strips were bogus...

So I need to do a very large change tomorrow? And I need to get a test kit, not test strips? Wish I'd known test strips were bogus...

yeah i would do at least two 50% water changes. test strips are inaccurate and you can get a master test kit off amazon for the same price as buying 3 test strip kits. i just got a new one, because the old one ran out of nitrate tests, and i got it for 24 dollars shipped.

I thought you had already begun these after you first posted? Large water changes are always your first response when a fish is behaving unusually. I'm guessing that you don't have nitrates yet because you're still at the beginning of the nitrogen cycle.

Apparently my idea of a large water change, and an actual large water change are two different things.

Update;

I bought a liquid test kit, and the ammonia is 0 ppm. It is an API. That, and after about a week if hiding he spassed out and I took him out into a small 1/4 tubbaware container. I thought it was constipation so I put half a shelled pea and a slice of zucchini in it with him. And suggestions on what to do?

Update;

I bought a liquid test kit, and the ammonia is 0 ppm. It is an API. That, and after about a week if hiding he spassed out and I took him out into a small 1/4 tubbaware container. I thought it was constipation so I put half a shelled pea and a slice of zucchini in it with him. And suggestions on what to do?

How are your nitrites? He won't last long in the tub. Are you checking that the temp and ph doesn't swing when you do your water changes? If everything is okay with your water, then I think the problem lies with the health of the fish.

As far as I know the nitrate is at 0 and the nitrite is at a maximum of .2
I returned him to the tank, and as far as I know he's better. I have a suspicion my blue gourami is competing/fighting with my pleco, and forcing him to hide. I've noticed that small vibrations cause him to spasm. Are plecos vibration sensitive to this extreme?

Back
Top Bottom