What's wrong with my gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
He's been acting strange lately, like not being active and not really wanting to eat and just hanging by the bottom of the tank. The last 2 days he's been developing a strange bulge on his right side and now he's floating at the top and slowly leaning to his left side. If I could post a video I would but I'll try and post screen shots

Tell us everything about your tank and this fish.. More details the better

I have a 37 gal community. Current stock besides this one is 9 Cory cats, 5 red minor tetras, 1 blue gourami and 3 snails. The past few weeks he's been acting like this, I check the parameters on the 6th and came up with: ph 7.4 ammonia 0 nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 40ppm. I've been keeping keeping up with regular water changes. I've had this guy for a little over a year and he's the oldest one in my tank. I've recently added 6 Cory cats to the tank to up the total to 9. Other then that I rehomed a common Pleco and a pictus catfish that were in the tank less then a week ago.

Right now he's still breathing but laying on his side on the bottom. He just used some energy to get to the top when I was putting water back in the tank but then floated back to the bottom

Nitrates are a tad high but I doubt that's the reason if he's been in there for over a year, I've heard gouramis often have health issues, maybe it's just the end if his run? I had a guppy go out in a similar fashion. I netted him and left him propped at the top if the tank netted to see if he would eat or swim..

Maybe it is just his time, the mysterious bump is what weird to me. Maybe I'll try netting him to see what he does

Back
Top Bottom