What's wrong with my guppy? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amanda Guitar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had the tank running for 2 weeks, with fish for one. He's just sitting at the top of the tank, and seems to have a buldge he didn't have yesterday.

Ammonia levels were high before I did my 30% WC at 1. After the change it's a 0.5 Nitrite and nitrate are 0, ph is 7.5, water temp is 78F

it's a 30 gallon with 5 male guppies
filtration is marineland emperor 280
the fish we acclimated by floating and adding 1/4c aquarium water every 15 mins until the bag was full.... half the water was discarded then the process began again, then they were netted into the aquarium.
no newer additions to the tank since the fish
they get omegaone flakes and freezedried bloodworms, alternating days.

my water has been exceptionally and surprisingly clear.

what can I do to help him?

Attachments

• sick fish.jpg
    sick fish.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 68
I did a bit of research and from pictures of other fish and other peoples' descriptions, he may be constipated. Apparently it's possible for freeze dried foods to cause this problem. So I cooked a green pea and mushed it up some and put it in the tank. He ate it no problem... except for the other fish trying to get at it too. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

.... well I can't say for sure he's dead... because I can't find him. Is it possible the others sensed he was weak and ate him already.. in a 10 hour time span? He's just gone

He might just be hiding, especially if he isn't feeling well. I have fish that I won't see for days but then suddenly appear perfectly healthy.

If you believe he's dead though you might look at the filter. A lot of times dead fish get sucked onto the bars of the filter. Or if you think the other fish have eaten him, look for just the body of the fish. If other fish have been eating on him he most likely won't have a tail, fins or eyes. (Gruesome, but true).

Hope you find him! I know how attached we can get to our fishies! Good luck. :)

Or is it possible that he jumped out?

no he didn't jump out... there's really no where for him to get out. Everything's pretty tight.

I've shone a flashlight into the plants and everything... I thought maybe he was eaten. Ammonia levels aren't higher than they were last night.. and I can't find any body parts at all.

Checked the filter too.. twice to be sure.. nothing there either.:blink:

I know tgat fish will often eat another dead pal in a few hours, even though their just becoming cannibals. I had a gourami eat a platy in 1 hour once, i had to go gt grocerys after i saw it floating and came back and there just a fatter gourami

I know tgat fish will often eat another dead pal in a few hours, even though their just becoming cannibals. I had a gourami eat a platy in 1 hour once, i had to go gt grocerys after i saw it floating and came back and there just a fatter gourami

oh goodness. well, I guess that's it then.

There is another one now being picked on by two others. He doesn't seem ill whatsoever so, maybe they're just playing.. it seems like he's under constant chase.

Sometimes male fish will harass other male fish.. though I'm not aware of guppies being especially pushy that way, they sometimes will nip fins or chase fish that are weaker, or if they are trying to assert dominance. If there were some females, the males would probably pay more attention to them, than to each other.

Sometimes male fish will harass other male fish.. though I'm not aware of guppies being especially pushy that way, they sometimes will nip fins or chase fish that are weaker, or if they are trying to assert dominance. If there were some females, the males would probably pay more attention to them, than to each other.

I definitely don't want any females in the tank or I would be littered with fry. I'm not in a position to raise them and I don't know anyone with an aquarium to give/sell them to. So I have all male fancy guppies. I didn't think the fish was weak but perhaps he other sense what I can't see. Poor little guy.

You shouldn't use bloodworms to feed most any fish. They have extremely hard to digest skin and they often constipate most fish. Although some people may use them I do not recommend it at all

You shouldn't use bloodworms to feed most any fish. They have extremely hard to digest skin and they often constipate most fish. Although some people may use them I do not recommend it at all

I heard they were great as a treat for bettas. It's not a problem to stay away from them. Thanks

Yes, guppies breed if they can. But you don't have to raise fry, for starters. For one thing, both males and females will eat many of them, likely most of them, especially if you make no effort to provide hiding places for the fry. You may get a few that live, replacements for the future.

Btw, modern male guppies with very long tails have some trouble breeding effectively once the tail is full grown. Breeders mate them when they are still very young, because when the tail is full grown, they can't swim fast enough to mate with the females properly. Those lovely tails slow them down too much.

Not an absolute guarantee of no fry, but you shouldn't be overwhelmed with them. And females will make the males happier.

Back
Top Bottom