Whats wrong with my koi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chanjingjie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have about 7 small koi in a 30 gallon tank. They were fine when I first bought them 1 month ago. Recently, I found that there where white, long pigments on one of the koi and I immediately added salt to the tank and transfer that particular sick koi to another tank with salt. About a day later, I place him back when the pigments were gone. But now all the koi look very weak and were not as active as before. May I know if it's because of the salt? I haven't added any new fishes or ornaments lately.

No the salt doesn't hurt the fish unless u added way more than u were supost too.. how often do u feed them? Have they been eating?

Also, what is the temperature currently in the tank.? How long have u had them? And when u separated the sick koi did u use water from the same tank u took it out of? If not did u aclimate the sick koi when u transfered it to the hospital tank?

Feed them about 2-3 times a day, they all finish the pellets very quickly last time, now they weren't as active.

Have had them for about a month, I don't really have a thermometer for the tank, is it really needed, sorry, I'm just started my tank, and don't really know much bout rearing fishes. I place the sick koi in tap water which I had left in the open for a few hours to

Chanjingjie said:
Have had them for about a month, I don't really have a thermometer for the tank, is it really needed, sorry, I'm just started my tank, and don't really know much bout rearing fishes. I place the sick koi in tap water which I had left in the open for a few hours to

Do use dechlorinator at all?
Also 7 koi is a lot for 30 gallons, do you plan on getting a larger tank? If not your gonna have serious issues with your fish down the road...

Nope, read up that if u leave tap water out in the open for a few hours, the chlorine would be gone. Yup, would get a bigger tank soon when the koi start to grow bigger, their all now about 7-8 cm only

I've read the same too, but from what I've read your supposed to leave it out over night- so like 12 hours in my opinion. Did you cycle the tank? What are your water parameters?

Cycle the tank? U mean a current in the tank?

I'll take that as a no. Do you have any idea on your parameters? Do you do pwcs? How much water do you change in your pwcs? You need to start using dechlorinator. If you only left it out for a few hours it probably still has chlorine and other toxins in it.

My parameters are fine, the ammonium and nitrate levels are 0. But even if there were still chlorine in the water, the fishes should have started to weaken at the first two weeks right? Why only after a month++ do they look do weak?

Thanks for all ur help:) I was just thinking, could they be weak because of the mix in pellets and dried worms in their diet?

Chanjingjie said:
Thanks for all ur help:) I was just thinking, could they be weak because of the mix in pellets and dried worms in their diet?

No problem! Freeze Dried blood worms can cause bloating. What brand pellets are you using and what are you testing your water with?

My pellets are from 'super amazon', hai Feng. It says for tropical and goldfish and it enhances colour. I'm using my eyes as tester, no floating bubbles means no ammonium and nitrate right??

Plus I'm sure if they are bloated, may I know the symptoms? One of my koi now has a red tail, as if something scratch it or some abrasion. It's now lying on it's side. Pls help!:(

Back
Top Bottom