what's wrong with my Molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came back from vacation and her eye was cloudy. I did some research and it say to do water changes and it might take it away. So I've been doing some every couple of days. And now it looks like this I'm not sure what it is or what to do now. Should I take her out and put her in another tank? How do I fix it?

It's gotten a lot bigger, and it's kinda red looking.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131020_142638.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131020_142638.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 78
Chances are your water parameters got out of whack while you were away. Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Knowing these numbers, tank size, and inhabitants will help get a proper diagnosis, and treatment plan.

This happened to one of mine a few months ago. Someone told me that she just had Popeye from a build up of gas. I later found out it was a parasite. Look for other signs of parasites like concave bellies, stringy poop, and lethargic fishies.

I'm not saying that's what she has but it's something to look out for. Good luck!

This happened to one of mine a few months ago. Someone told me that she just had Popeye from a build up of gas. I later found out it was a parasite. Look for other signs of parasites like concave bellies, stringy poop, and lethargic fishies.

I'm not saying that's what she has but it's something to look out for. Good luck!

How did you cure your fish from that?

So I tested the water today and it's at

pH - 7.8
NO3 - a little over 20
NO2 - 0
NH3 - 0

I have a 15 gallon tank with the dalmatian Molly, two gold dust mollys one male one female, two female platys, two baby dalmatian Molly and a mystery snail

I didn't have to. None of my other fish ever got it bad enough. They were slow for awhile but then it just sort of passed.

How are they doing now?

But of you think it's a parasite you can try feeding your fish crushed garlic with its food.

If it's a parasite then that will help get rid of it.

If it's not then it will just seem like strange tasting food to them.

There are also medicated flakes you can buy.

The best way to get rid of internal parasites is for the fish to ingest something to get rid of it. So medicines you pour into the tank like melafix or something won't be very affective.

BUT it might not be parasites. I don't want to scare you with that word. She could just have a gas build up from a recent water change or something.

I didn't have to. None of my other fish ever got it bad enough. They were slow for awhile but then it just sort of passed.

How are they doing now?

She's starting to look better her eyes are still cloudy but their not bubbled now

Back
Top Bottom