Whats wrong with my new betta?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreek

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a new male betta from my local fish store, and he seemed very healthy when i got him, but after about 3 days he started laying under a little wood decoration, and being lazy? he was very very active when i first put him into the 5 gallon and seemed happy, but he wont come out from under the wood, not even to eat! i've even checked if he was dead, but i lifted the wood and he came out and swam around like normal...and just went back under it. :(

Is he just stressed?

How is the water flow they don't like fast moving water ...

Maybe he's old? Sometimes they sell older breeders when they are too elderly to breed anymore. Or maybe he's just taking a while to adjust. Every betta is different. I've had so many, and some are out and swimming around from the first day, as if it had always been their home. I've had a couple that would hide continuously for almost two weeks before venturing out and exploring. He may be one of the shy ones. Are there plants where he can swim about without feeling exposed, or is the wood the only thing where he can hide? Bettas also enjoy ornaments that have holes so they can go in and out, and feel secure until they are used to their new environment. Just make sure none of the holes are small enough for him to get trapped! Had that happen too. Tragic.

He has decorations, and lots of plants. I actually noticed he has been coming out to eat, and hes swimming a lot more. thanks for the info!

It also might be worth checking that he definitely doesn't have fin rot. My male betta acted just like that when i first bought him, he would have days where he would be more active, but it eventually progressed into him rarely moving unless another fish bothered him. When i realised what the issue was, it was too late and he died.
I only say this because you say you got him from a pet store. Pet stores very rarely treat their betta fish correctly and most leave the store with fin rot. The male's fins should look a little like they have a curtain attached to them, and with females just make sure their fins don't look frayed. If you suspect fin rot, i recommend AQ salt.
Good luck! I hope your little friend ends up in good health. :)

He doesn't have fin rot, he seems very healthy, and hes actually eating a lot more. I actually just got a new filter pump, and hes coming out of his little castle more. I'm gonna be moving him into my 10 gallon with my other male betta *with a divider* and hopefully he will be much happier in a new tank.

I'll update you guys in a few days!

Back
Top Bottom