What's wrong with my new cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got them tonight, school of 5 panda cories (they are so adorable, love them). Well, in watching them swim around on their first night home, I noticed that one of the larger ones floats. Try as he might to stay on the bottom of the tank, everytime he stops moving, he starts floating to the surface. The poor guy really wants to be on the bottom of the tank, he is trying really hard, but its just not working for him. Whats wrong with him? Is it something that I should take him back and trade him out for? I just brought them home tonight, so I can take him back tomorrow, no problem (I am going back tomorrow for a rubberlip pleco anyway)

Please help! TIA!

What size tank and how long has it been set up? What are your parameters? Is the cory bloated at all? Is he not only floating but having difficulty in keeping his balance? He may be constipated or have a swim bladder issue. Try feeding some frozen peas for starters.

its a 20g, this particular tank has been set up for probably close to three months, possibly longer (don't remember when i set it up lol). Param's are perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates. Cory is not bloated. He seemed to keep his balance pretty well, just couldn't stay at the bottom.

I was watching him today, and he seems fine now. He acts just like the rest of them, and does not have any problems staying on the bottom of the tank. I think he may have just been constipated, since he got better over night.

Corys are famous for swallowing air seeing as how they have no swim bladders. After words they will fart it out and then resurface for another gulp of air. It could be that this is a sign of constipation and could prove to be a problem.

Do you own corys? If you do, didn't you ever wonder why they make a rapid dash torwards the surface then return to the bottom? They probably do it twice daily. They contain in their intestens

Yes, I own cory's and I have seen them dash to the surface. I was just un-aware that they didnt have swim bladders. Learn something new every day, lol.

i found one dead this morning, it wasn't the same one though. The one that died had a different colorations. Not sure what he died from, but he is going back to the lfs tomorrow and getting tarded for a rubber lip pleco.

Back
Top Bottom