When can i clean a tank when medicating a fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We did a big water change about a week ago and then medicated my betta for popeye. and he looks better acts better but i also added the sencond does to be safe.. How long from today do i have to wait to clean his water?another five days? He almost looks normal again.
So i would like to clean up his tank and get him more happy again.
Cause he likes to sleep on the filter all day an night

Depends on the medication. Some medications specify a water change in between treatments, others are easily measured in small amounts, and you can just medicate the volume of the replacement water.

Does the medication package specify a treatment period? Does it tell you when/how to do a second dose?

yah its full dose the first day and five day later is 1/4 dose.
and it isnt easly measured as it is measures in ten gallons. and this 1.5 and its in a powder form.
and it says no water changes or anything else if they are in ideal range.
but it doesnt say you can change the water after the second dose?
its macryn 2
my husband didnt do it right.
It says first day first doesn and second through fifth day the other dose.
he thought it meant just the first and fifth day?
so now what i have to do it all over again for another five days.
please help as i have never medicated a fish.
should i do a big water change and then start all over
cause usually i just take him out and clean it all good.
he loves that.
Im sorry for that confusion?

Since the betta is looking better, the meds must have worked the first time, even though it wasn't given in quite the right way! Don't worry about it; some med directions are confusing especially if you have to divide a dose. Just to make sure the betta is getting a good dose of the med, I would do a water change in the tank and give another 5-day dose.

This is how I used to dose for a small tank: If the directions say "x amount" for 10 gallons, then put that amount into a one gallon jug, like a clean, empty bottled water jug. Fill the jug with declorinated water first, add the med, and then shake to dissolve. For the first day dose, the dose is double strength for Maracyn. So you want to add about 3 cups of the medicine water to the water in his tank. On days 2-5, you'll add 1 1/2 cups of the medicine water to the tank. About every other day you'll have to remove 1 1/2 cups of tank water to make room for the new medicine water. After the last treatment, I would wait two days and do a water change of about 40-50%. Throw away the rest of the medicine water in the jug at the end of treatment - it won't stay potent for another treatment.

An t-iasg said:
This is how I used to dose for a small tank: If the directions say "x amount" for 10 gallons, then put that amount into a one gallon jug, like a clean, empty bottled water jug. Fill the jug with declorinated water first, add the med, and then shake to dissolve. For the first day dose, the dose is double strength for Maracyn. So you want to add about 3 cups of the medicine water to the water in his tank. On days 2-5, you'll add 1 1/2 cups of the medicine water to the tank. About every other day you'll have to remove 1 1/2 cups of tank water to make room for the new medicine water. After the last treatment, I would wait two days and do a water change of about 40-50%. Throw away the rest of the medicine water in the jug at the end of treatment - it won't stay potent for another treatment.
That's a very good idea! I had a major problem a bit ago where I had to run 2 QTs, and the second one was just a 5 gallon bucket. I had quite a time of cutting tablets in quarters. (I was doing daily 50% water changes, so I had to medicate 2.5 gallons of replacement water with each change.)

oh sorry. THanks for the advice.
I got worried when i read that it was supose to be everyday.
he eye is almost back to normal already.
his body does still look a bit off to me. and he still rests quite a bit. not like before where he was really active.
He likes to lay on the filter so much and not move you almost think he is dead. but hes just resting.
so thank you for all your help and it was really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom