When it rains, it pours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
When things go wrong with my fish tanks--I end up with multiple problems :sigh:

When we came back from getting married, Trevor noticed the black Mollies in the community tank had a fungal or bacterial infection. They did not make it through treatment :(

We also noticed that the male daktari in the 80 gal Mbuna tank was MIA. That was sad--he had been picked on, we treated him for two weeks, we put him back. There was absolutely no evidence he ever existed :cry: Then I bought two large male Mbuna--an aceii and another male daktari. I took out ALL the rock, did a water change, added the fish and put back all the rock in new arrangements. The Aceii was dead in the morning and the daktari wasn't looking so good. We QTed him and he died the next day :bawl:. We realize now that we cannot add any more males to that tank.

Last weekend, I bought three male swordtails for the 50 gal and two have died--they were in QT and I can still get my money back, but this is getting annoying!!!

Last night, we were watching a movie and I look over to see a floater in the Badis tank. I didn't say anything right away, since we had already stopped the movie multiple times. An hour later (after mostly staring at the floater and not paying attention to the movie), I told Trevor to look at the floater and remove it for me. I don't deal well with dead fish. Trevor tells me it was a floating piece of zucchini! Finally, some good news! Then, I am admiring my wild rams and see that the females definitely have ich :x. I turned the heat up a bit and added salt.

Just a few minutes ago, I went to turn up the temp again and realize the tank is at 69F!!!! The HEATER is BROKEN!!! The heater is an Ebo Jager I bought 7 months ago--all the heater coils are at the bottom of the heater! No wonder my fish are ill! I am glad the heater didn't totally malfunction and kill them, but money is tight right now and I'm off to purchase another heater!

I am so angry right now :evil:

I'm so sorry to hear all that! I definitely know the feeling! I'm sure everything will quickly return to normal!

yeah. my ebo (had it for like a month now) is the best heater ive ever had. i was sticking with the tetra whisper heaters until you guys recommended the ebo. its keeping my temp almost exactly 80 all the time and only goes over 82 when it gets real hot outside.

yeah i hope things work out. but it happens to the best. good luck

That sucks menag! Well, I hope you weren't too attached to the zucchini at least. All kidding aside, I hope your fishies start to get better!

RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr....
I bought a few white clouds to "replace" my swortails. I was floating them in with the surving sword and went to watch my favorite show. A bit later I hear Trevor calling for me, and the green sword is dead. I ran into the room to see Trevor gently moving the fish back and forth to get water over its gills. Apparently it jumped and we don't know how long it was out of the tank. That happened an hour ago--it looks like the swordtail may be okay. 8O I need a NAP!

I'm sorry. However, good and bad move in circles and eventually things will start looking up. It just sucks when it is a big circle :(

So sorry about all of this, Menagerie - you deserve a break, that's for sure!

Bummer about that Ebo - did they get bought yet? I am wondering if it is made the "old" way or if it is a newer generation. You buy Ebo for reliability so you certainly don't expect this kind of thing.

I am sure things will start to turn around for you - certainly hope so!

Aw, I am sorry to hear about all this.

I like mitche8359's idea, and I am sending you good fish vibes too :D

That's really awful, Menagerie. I'm so sorry for all your troubles and hope things turn around for you soon. Good fish vibes from here, too.

So sorry to hear about all that :puppydogeyes: well the only thing I can say is at least this proves you truely are a fish lover or this wouldn't bother and you'd just give up. So hears to you Menagerie :smilecolros: (y) :multi: :multi: :multi: :smilecolros: ....hope this helps.

Exactly, kenor33. Last night at Petsmart a woman had a 5gal tank in her arms and was picking out her goldfish. She was expressing some doubts to her friend, who resonded, "well, the worst thing that could happen is the fish will just die, so, whatever."

As Menagerie, and many of the rest of us know, that IS the worst thing!!! Dingbat.... :evil:

Back
Top Bottom