Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2004, 04:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
When scales grow back

What does it look like?
My goldie is seems to be doing better.. but i don't know what it looks like for scales to grow back. It looks like the area where his scales got sucked off is white and slimy.. and less raw chicken looking. Before it was dry and looked like raw chicken. But now its white and smooth and kinda slimy. Is this a good sign?

Old 04-18-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
I looked for this in unhealthy fish....

Hmm, when koi are shaved (an archaic way of dealing with aggressive cases black fungus), they look like a shaved shi tzu in skin texture. Dry and almost velvety. And usually mostly a white color with tans or grey where the markings were.
Whemn the scales gre back you'd see shiny spots that looked like fingernail clippings (shiny hard half moons) , then pearls of scale, then a real scale and they would slowly fill the gap. A very slight cover of slime if you were rough or the water was not dead on. Nothing thick or fuzzy would have been considered healing though. I do not like the big fuzzies on tropicals while they heal. The make me really jumpy and itchiny fingered around the med cabinent!

Raw chicken(pinkish) is the sign of the skin being broken to expose true flesh and has a big chance of bacteria and fungus getting to close and friendly! Be sure you keep those salts up to gold capacity.... and again..lotsa water changes...

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
He is in medicated water and ive been doing a 25% water change daily (just because I want to make sure the meds stay in there)
I uploaded a picture to my gallery if you want to see what it looks like. Tomorrow im adding more meds (as recommended).

Thanks for replying.
My goldie has been hanging on for 5 days and is getting stronger... i just hope he is healing properly

Tags
scales

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com