where did this come from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gravereaper0

Aquarium Advice Freak
So couple days ago my wife told me that the clown loach died. :(
I'm not home during the week so I couldn't get a look at anything until today. I told her to test the water and parameters looked fine, ammo was a bit high @.5 so she did a 50% water change.
As I'm looking @ the rest of the fish I see tiny white spots, guessing ich.
But where did it come from?
Last time I added a fish to my stock was the loach and that was back in I wanna say june-july.
So nothing changed since then and now they get ich? How's that possible? I haven't added anything or changed any equipment and everything was bought new anyways, so where did it come from?

ForumRunner_20131116_034547.jpg

ForumRunner_20131116_034558.jpg

ForumRunner_20131116_034608.jpg

Seems like the spots are just near the gills and the lil fins next to em, so is it ich?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, definitely not ich. The goldfish in your picture is a male and he is reaching sexual maturity. The 'spots' on his gills (operculum) are breeding tubercules. You can also see them on his pectoral fins (the small white bubbles on top ray). Nothing to be concerned about unless you have a female in the tank. I would work though on getting the ammonia under control and keeping it under control (under .25ppm) with water changes as I suspect the bioload on this tank may be starting to push its capacity. :)

Yea definitely the fluval and power head are working double time, but I'm ordering the glass panes for the 30 gallon to turn it into a sump next week.
Well that's s relief then. But what happened with my clown loach then?

Honestly don't know what happened to the loach. As you didn't get to see him when he passed, we don't know if he had any symptoms that would indicate something amiss. All I can do here is guess and say that perhaps the ammonia levels spiked higher than .50ppm at some point or simply the .50ppm of ammonia was more than he could handle. ???

Bummer I'm deff bummed I never lost a fish before. Could it have something to do with the fact that it was a schooling fish and he was by himself?

The smallest orange one who is being harassed the most is likely a female (you can see she appears slightly rounded at her abdomen towards the peduncle/tail base). The big boy is definitely a male and the instigator here. The other two are likely males as well and are trying to participate but are not quite sure yet. Keep an eye on everyone so the little female is not harassed to sickness or injury.

Nope, definitely not ich. The goldfish in your picture is a male and he is reaching sexual maturity. The 'spots' on his gills (operculum) are breeding tubercules. You can also see them on his pectoral fins (the small white bubbles on top ray). Nothing to be concerned about unless you have a female in the tank. I would work though on getting the ammonia under control and keeping it under control (under .25ppm) with water changes as I suspect the bioload on this tank may be starting to push its capacity. :)

What is said above, plus clowns require not only many other clowns (5+ At least) but impeccable water conditions at all times. The are not known for being hardy fish. There is a plant/fish profile on proper care needs of clowns on this website.
From the picture I'm guessing bare bottom tank, clowns need hiding places, lots of hiding place.

Back
Top Bottom