Whirling disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boogety48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't find anything about a cure for this disease but I wanted to know if it will eventually kill the fish or if he will stop swimming in circles. If it kills the fish, how long does it take? My sister just got her first tank and one of her fish started doing this a few days ago. She feels bad and the only thing I can think to do is euthanize the fish. If I can help her I would like to.

I haven't heard about this problem before but from a quick google search all the info said it is a parasite that causes it and there is no cure. If the fish actually has this and dies make sure it comes out right away so they other fish don't eat it. Other than spiral swimming is there any other issues you can see?

I haven't seen it myself other than a video. I'm trying to get my sister to sign up here and post the symptoms. I did notice one thing though. I work in a fish store. I noticed yesterday a fish doing this as well. My sister's is a black molly, this was an African Featherfin catfish. I put it in quarantine and noticed this morning that it wasn't spinning anymore. It was like it was holding onto the filter intake (not sucked up, I made sure). It had a blood red spot on its head though.

I havent see anything else other than the spinning in circles. I cant tell if its eating and and all my other fish are leaving it alone. It was spinning for a few hours then stop, but now it has been spinning for 3 days without stopping.

Back
Top Bottom