White film & clamped fins :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowfire

Aquarium Advice Activist
Be of my angels has developed a strange white film on some of her fins and her tail is clamped. A couple of the others have a few white fuzzy areas on fins but nothing as bad.
Amm-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate10 (ish)
pH- 7

I've added some melafix which I had handy but not sure what else I should do.
Any ideas what it could be?

I am currently battling Columnaris after battling Ich for over a month.. I had Similar situation over a week ago like you described and with in the last few days the white pimple looking stuff started happening...

Oh no, that sounds nasty! What should I do? I live in the uk so have limited meds available.

I reduced the temp last night down to 23C but this morning 2 of my praecox rainbows were dead :( no obvious symptoms. The worst affected angel doesn't look any worse, some of the white looks like its peeling off so I'm feeling a little more optimistic for her. I'm just off to lfs to see what I can find, then I'm going to do a gravel vac & pwc before adding meds.

I am sorry about your fish :( Unfortunately, columnaris is vicious & can kill fish before they even show symptoms. Hopefully, you will find something at your lfs- i would ask them as well to see what options you may have available to you. Good luck!

Sorry to hear this.. I am currently giving my fish triple sulfa and lowering my temp slowly (had it raised because of Ich) and we are seeing huge improvements. Of the 2 that where showing symptoms 1 is not showing any and lost his only "pimple" over night, the jagged section of his tail is healing and he is very active today trying to mate with all the females.. his body even looks like it has more color (he is a blue platy).. the other who was worse off is still hiding near the base of a plant but his "pimple" is significantly smaller and he is looking allot better than he did last night before I did the treatment. Last night he was hiding and starting to tilt to the side and was trying to lay on the substrate.. I hope he makes it through... today gives me hope! Tonight I do a 25% wc and do another treatment. Please keep us updated, positive vibes that you have a turn around.

I'm glad to hear you're winning your battle MamaJasmine! I couldn't get myxazin at lfs but have done 50% pwc, added salt and just done another dose of melafix. I've lost a platy this afternoon, she didn't have any symptoms, I just wish I knew what was going on.
None of the fish have pimples as far as I've seen, just the one angel with the white film and a few small white patches on the other angels fins.
Thanks for the advice and support so far, is it worth doing a salt dip on the worst affected one?

I've lost another platy this morning, also no previous symptoms. The worst affected angel has gone into hiding and didn't come out for her breakfast thismorning :(
I've now also got a sick female betta in my other tank (AAARRGGHHH)
I put some cherry shrimp in my spare tank the other day so am going to get a boring looking cheap QT tank which I will keep just for this type of emergency and wont feel tempted to stock!

OK, the worst looking angel has died :( her name was Stripes and she had always been the most timid one... feeling pretty rubbish about all this now!
I've added some more salt today so now thats roughly 20 tsp in the 90g. How much more can I add without upsetting the plants?
There are still no signs of pimples but my biggest angel Spot has a red area at the base of his pectoral fin on one side.

Back
Top Bottom