white fuzz on rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it is Back!!!

well the columnaris is back.

another of my bosemani rainbows now has a spot on her. it is more like a line, but I am sure it is the same thing. I ordered the kanamycin sulfate - hope it arrives soon! I figured it would be better to wait on the kanamycin rather than treat again with the maracyn two. that obviously did not kick it out of the tank. please tell me if this is a poor decision.

first noticed the spot on my rainbow on saturday (3/11). it is a significant line, but as stated before I have so many problems in this tank we have decided to just make this tank my hospital tank.

also treating in this tank: gill flukes. started treatment on Firday with prazipro (see separate post on "red around gills") treatment seems to be working in this case.

so here are a few questions:
previously treated for 5 days with maracyn two and lose dose of salt
did large water change (50%) on thurs after maracyn two complete
Friday evening treated with prazipro

I have not run any carbon to remove the maracyn two (only the water change). should I redose any salt while I am waiting on the kanamycin?

Oh and one last thought I just had. while treating with the maracyn two I dropped the temp to about 74. since treatment has been complete I have slowly raised the temp back up to 78. should I drop the temp back down again?

OK, think that is all my questions...
:thanks:

tank parameters:
ammonia - 0
nitrites - 0
PH - 7.6
Nitrates - 0
temp - 77.7

Oh boy.... you made the right decision to get some kanamycin. Its a more efficient & potent antibiotic & its well absorbed in the skin of fish as well. You can treat with prazi & kanamycin safely. A low dose of salt should help as well. Go ahead & work on lowering the temp- it wont affect how either med works. I hope everything works out for you! Keep us posted!

I just did some more thinking about this med combo. Ive used kanamycin (in food) safely with prazipro. Let me double check tommorrow & make sure they both can be combined safely in water. Alternately, you can make homemade food with the kanamycin & feed it whie continueing to treat with the prazi.

I just did some more thinking about this med combo. Ive used kanamycin (in food) safely with prazipro. Let me double check tommorrow & make sure they both can be combined safely in water. Alternately, you can make homemade food with the kanamycin & feed it whie continueing to treat with the prazi.
I am pretty sure I can combine everything, but no rush... the meds probably won't ship until tues. :( hope this is not a problem for my fish.

should I redose any salt in there or just wait until the kanamycin arrives?

I would def add some salt & drop the temps gradually to try & keep everything under control until you get your meds.

not the best pic, but you can see the white "line" on the top middle of my rainbow

dropping the temp now...
how much salt should I add? previously added 7 TBSP (1TBSP / 5gallons = enough for 35 gallons) have 90 gallon tank with loaches - technically not scaleless, but not sure if I am supposed to do less. did a 50%pwc since initial salt addition.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 44
I would keep the salt @1tablespoon per 10gals. You should be at about half this amount since you did a wc since adding the initial dose.

so I look at my fish today and was all ready to post a new question. looks to me almost like the rainbow is improving. maybe the salt is helping? but then I notice one of my rasboras is not swimming right. these guys are small so not as easy to see their bodies as the rainbows. but... yep he looks fuzzy. since they are so small it is definitely affecting him more than the rainbow. most of one whole side is fuzzy. not sure he is going to make it

meds arrived - finally

well I thought about making a new thread, but figured I would just let this saga continue!

finally got my meds today (took longer than I thought). now I know why I read in someone's post that you need to have some meds just on hand - I do believe I am accumulating a supply of meds :hide:

OK, so my meds arrived, dosed my tank per directions. here is my question. the directions say to dose tank 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons and then do 25% WC every day
OR
for tanks over 50 gallons (mine is 90 gallons) to dose the tank, wait 5 days and then do 25%WC then redose - do this only two times.

So I normally do a 50% WC every 5-7 days. should I just do the 25% in 5 days and then in 10 days do another 25% or 50% or ??? I want the meds to stay in there, but I also like doing my larger water changes (you guys have trained me well :lol: )

hope this stuff works - ready to start moving fish in here again.

oh - just thought of another question. I have been adding a little salt in here - have some in now. when I do my WC in 5 days do I need to re -add the salt again or can I just let it be now that I have the meds in there?

:thanks: thanks everyone for helping me through this :thanks:

Honestly, I would just do the 50% in 5 days & redose. Without healthy water, the meds are not as effective anyway. Add back only the salt you remove so it stays at a constant level. Good luck to your guys!!!

thanks - that makes me feel better.
so I will do the 50% WC in 5 days, add the meds back and the salt back.
then after that am I done with the salt?

Yep! It will be gradually removed with future water changes- just dont try to remove it all at once. Your fish will need to gradually adjust to the reduced amounts of salt as well. :)

mini - cycle - now have ammonia

well, I thought this might happen. I now am having a mini cycle - I am sure from the meds. I started seeing a tinge of color earlier, but now I definitely have ammonia in my tank! :nono:

so, here is the story. on the second (and final) dose of the kanamycin. directions say to add meds then redose in 5 days the full strength after a 25%WC

What I did was add the second dose (at full strength) after a 50%WC on 24 Mar (sat) - doing an evening treatment, so the meds have been in the tank for approx 42 hours - just short of 2 of the required 5 days. I also have salt in the tank

tested water this morning and I have 1ppm of ammoniain the tank. I am sure they are going to continue to rise, so I am now doing a 50%WC.

so what do I do now about my meds? do I re-add the kanamycin? the salt? the plan was to do a 50%wc on evening of 29 or morning of 30 and run carbon and not add salt. what about now??

so here is what I did:

added the kanamycin back at full dose.directions on container say to dose daily at full strength after 25%WC everyday. for aquariums 50 gallons and over to dose once every 5 days - 2 times at full strength after 25%WC.

so I figure since in the smaller aquarium it is safe to add full dose daily after WC then that is what I should do for my tank as well. it may be that I will be doing daily water changes for the remainder of my 5 days of treatment. I really hope not! I also added the salt back in. figure I will keep the salt in as long as I am keeping the meds in there. then at the end of these 5 days I will do another 50%WC, run carbon and then we will be all clean and healthy in there!(at least that is what I hope!!)

If anyone thinks I did these meds wrong please let me know so I can do a WC ASAP!!

It looks like you have a handle on things! Sorry, I couldn't respond sooner but my computer crashed yesterday so I got a new cell to compensate & I am trying to figure out how to work it!

No problem. Think I have this thing under control. Just wish it wasn't sending my tank into a mini cycle - hope it doesn't take long to get out of it when I am done with the meds!!! Just one more day of adding meds and then will be back to normal. I am at the point of daily wc now. That is not fun, but I really do think my tank is all clean and germ free now.

Hopefully, your tank will return to normal quickly! Good job on everything & hopefully this is the end of all your problems! :)

ok, so a new question... let the drama continue!

today while doing my water change (high ammonia) I noticed that my ram is rubbing up against the boat :( could this be a sign from the high ammonia, or do I possibly have another problem in here?

Back
Top Bottom