White growths on mouths of new harlequin rasboras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marshallgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a group of 4 harlequin rasboras from petland. 2 of them have white growths on their mouths. The one is worse than the other and they do not appear to be fuzzy from what I can see. The growth on the one fish has grown substantially in size over the last couple of days and almost resembles a beard. I have only had these fish about a week and I'm wondering what I can do to cure them. I'm pretty sure it is columnaris. Can anyone suggest a good medication fir this that they have used and had sucsess with??

I always recommend Jungle's Fungus Clear for Columnaris or their medicated food for bactieral infections if they are eating, I tried everything from Melafix/Pimafix, Maracyn 1&2 with Maroxy but Jungles was the only one that worked quickly. The only place locally I've found it was Walmart or online.

By what your describing I agree it sounds like Columnaris.

Well i know that they don't carry it at the wal mart by my house nor petland but I will try petsmart. I was also thinking that the jungle line would be best

I know the local Petsmarts don't but I've heard good things with Tetra's Fungus med but have no personal experience. If they're eating the food works well, although you'll have to grind it up some since they're 1mm pellets.

Well I picked up the jungle anti bacteria food. I hope it works. Do you know how long I should treat for and should I use only that food for the duration of the treatment or or should it be used along with another med?

I believe the instructions feed 3x per week for 4 weeks but I've only used it in conjunction with the Fungus Clear so I can't comment when used as a stand alone treatment.

Well been feeding almost twice as long as the recommended dosage and the medicated food seems to be keeping it at bay and preventing from spreading bit it has not completely disappeared from the 2 infected fish. What now ????

Thought I might add... The white things seem to come up and go down only on the two fish. Even after u had stopped mediating them. I am puzzled!! Should I just leave them alone?

Have you been testing your water ??? Are you doing water changes ? Anytime I have any fish issues those are two things I do as part of the treatment. You prob already know this, but you did not mention your water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom