White patch on my platty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hermien Zondagh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good day everyone. Im new here.

20180312_105647.jpg20180312_105545.jpgCan*someone help me identify this white patch on my platty please? Im not sure if its a*fungus*or something....

Ive attached 2 pictures Ive taken of my platty.

Thank you

It's difficult to determine from a pic, but either a fungus, or Columnaris. Fungus grows on dead or damaged tissue. So if you think the fish scraped itself on the decor, fungus might be the problem. The worst case scenario is Columnaris, or Saddleback. It's a very serious bacterial illness. If you determine the problem is in fact Columnaris, get the sick fish out of the tank. Either euthanize or medicate with a full spectrum antibiotic in a seperate QT tank.

Thank*you for the advice....

I caught the*fish to get a closer look at the white patch, and it isnt a cotton/fluffy like patch. Looks like a bleached spot on its body.My one orange platty who died last week, half his body (tummy to tail) were white.

Ive lowered my temp to 24°C and added some*aquarium salt*(1tbs per gal). Then I added some fungus meds. I have Tetra Medica FungiStop. Do you think this will help? Im treating the whole tank. I have about 29 fish in there witch some are plegos. I realy do hope that they will be ok because one of them are a Gold spot plego. If that fish dies I will be devistated.... Or do you think I should just take the sick fish out while treating the whole tank?

Not a good sign already losing a fish to the white patch illness. My guess is your dealing with Columnaris. Probably best to remove the sick fish and try to save the remaining tankmates.
The fungus treatment won't cure Columnaris. Lowering the temp. Might help a little.
Columnaris is almost always fatal. By the time you see the white saddleback growth on the outside of the fish, the damage has already been done on the inside.
IMO, the best course of action is to remove the sick fish, conduct a large WC & gravel vac, then keep a close eye on the survivors. At the first sign of further infection immediately remove the sick fish.
Columnaris can be a tank killer. So don't hesitate.

Will do that. Thank you very much for all your advice and help. Means alot to me.

I agree on the columnaris and removing the fish that looks effected.
Get tank clean and keep temp lower.
Try to eliminate stressing things that may be in tank ?
Salt is step one.If you need tougher treatment it is kannaplex and furan2 both used together according to their own directions.
You won't cure a visibly infected fish IMO but you may save the other fish in tank if it keeps claiming fish weekly. This is a good read.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ts-1689.html&usg=AOvVaw31CC_glS6hh4rAe5K3QSC0

Back
Top Bottom