White patch on rosy barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a few new rosy barbs last weekend. One small female now has a white patch on her back. It doesn't appear to be raised or fuzzy. Should I wait?, treat the tank?, or take her back to the store for a replacement? She seems to be hiding and less active than her tankmates. She is the smallest of six barbs. Could it be a bite or other injury? There are a male and female in the tank that are twice her size and they have been spawning lately.

Hiya savga and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

I'm thinking what your barb has is something called columnaris; tis a bacterial disease (the most common for aquarium fish) and white patches on the back are one symptom. Do take a look here to see if the description or pics match your barb. If so, you'll need to isolate her and treat her with antibiotics ASAP: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#External

Well it doesn't look nearly as nasty as those photos of columnaris. There doesn't appear to be any redness. However I am taking your advice. She is isolated and being treated with Kanacyn. Wish me luck!

white patches and dwindling fins

Hi! I hope I'm not barging in on anybodys topic, but I needed advice, and couldn't figure out any other way to post than to reply to something someone else had already written. Sorry.

Anyway. I have a 20 gallon tank, had it since March of this year. Freshwater, heated, under gravel filter and top filter, two platys, four neon tetras, two german blue rams, two cory cats and an otocinculus (or whatever he's called). No new fish have been added since May 8.

Here's my prloblem -- I noticed today that my female platy has a white patch on her back that looked like fins sticking straight up earlier, but now is flat. The long bits on the top fins of my rams which used to be long and black are now shorter, white and a bit frayed looking. All the fish are acting healthy.

I do regular 25% water changes, and the most recent was yesterday. The only thing that I did differently was reach my arm into the tank to replant some plants that had come uprooted and I forgot to plug the heater back in. The tank was about 75 when I plugged it back in -- I usually keep it at about 80 - 82. I don't have any test kits (most people when I bought my tank gave me advice that I didn't need them and they would just make me worry) so I can't give you all the technical water stuff.

Is this the onset of some type of disease in my tank or are my fish just stressed? I'm really not thrilled about adding meds -- they had ick back in April and the heat treatment took care of it quickly. I need help, please. What do you suggest? :(

(Aha, just figured out how to post a new topic. Yay!)

AirForceWife said:
Here's my prloblem -- I noticed today that my female platy has a white patch on her back that looked like fins sticking straight up earlier, but now is flat. The long bits on the top fins of my rams which used to be long and black are now shorter, white and a bit frayed looking. All the fish are acting healthy.

Sounds like the platy has flex and the rams have finrot (also caused by the same bacteria responsible for flex). Both are bacterial infections and the treatment is the same.

The first thing that you need to do is reduce the tank temp to around 77F. At higher temps both finrot and flex will spread rapidly. The lower temp slows it down. Next you need to remove the carbon from the filter (if you use carbon) and either add an airstone or increase surface agitation. The meds I'm going to recommend are supposedly harmeless to a tank's biofiltration but they will cloud the water and reduce dissolved oxygen levels. The meds are also photosensitive so the tank lights should be off.

Meds

Maracyn can be used to treat for the flex/finrot. This drug contains erythromycin which is highly effective against these diseases. Maracyn 2 will treat for any secondary bacterial infections that may be present. The two drugs are safe to be used together and work very well.

Dose according to the 5 day instructions on each package. After the fifth day, do two large water changes- up to 50%- 12 hours apart. Repeat the 5 day dosing instructions.

HTH and good luck with your fish!

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom