White patches - not ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Curious if my tank is healthy or not. I've got one angelfish with cloudy white patches on her pectoral fins ONLY - been there about a week without clearing up OR getting worse.

image-1040805159.jpg

SO HARD to get a decent picture

Also when I rescued this Oscar (that's why it's so beat up) there was white on the sides of it's mouth. Normal?

image-334969047.jpg

Lastly, BOTH of my newly spawning angels (as of last night) have white mouths that I just noticed today, but could very well have been there for awhile. A spawning thing? Cotton mouth?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3969744985.jpg
    image-3969744985.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1547784175.jpg
    image-1547784175.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3407392727.jpg
    image-3407392727.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 71
A little more info:

Tank parameters:
Ammonia: .50 (just did a water change last night - It's been stuck at this for a couple weeks now. Mini cycle from 75% water change 2 weeks ago?)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20
pH: don't remember ATM but it's in the 7 range with no swings.
Temp: 82

I recently added some feeder rosy minnows that my Oscar ate right away, two comets (temp - leaving tonight) and diamond tetras all yesterday. All look healthy and apart from the two breeding angel's mouths, everyone else's mouths look healthy. I believe the Oscar is normal, I just wanted to double check.

Last night, I had a male swordtail die. Added it a week ago. No visible signs of any disease or mutilation. Was a very active and beautiful fish.

On my white angel (Gracie) her pectoral fins look like they've been splashed with those b.b gun pellet sized splotches. They look milky.

The two breeding angel fish's mouths look kinda fuzzy kinda not. Hard to tell. I have a 10 gallon but the temp is a little lower and it's also cycling so it's not safe to add them in there to quarantine there. I'd have to treat the entire tank.

I currently own: Melafix, Stress Coat+, Prime, and a VERY minimal amount of Maracyn. Anything else, I'd need to run to the store.

It's not ich though. I've had ich before. They're not spots. I'll try to find a picture online that looks like what I have.

Is it for sure a fungus? Will Melafix kill it?

Your problems stem from water quality. No amount of ammonia is good in a tank. It looks like your tank is not cycled yet. You could also be overstocked. How large is your tank? For now, change the 50% of your water daily until your ammonia reads at 0.

I have been doing water changes. And yes I am overstocked, but not terribly. A lot of fish are being rehomed soon.

It's a 55 gallon tank

ok rehome all angels to BOB mccoy 19080 f road delta co, 81416 lololololololololo

It's water quality and too many fish. Experts, correct me if I am wrong, but a 55 gallon can only house 1 oscar, or 2 angels, but not together. I think each species requires different water parameters as well. If your tank is overstocked (please provide a list of all your fish in your tank), then change the water 50% every other day or more to keep your water parameters at 0 ammonia, less than 10 nitrate, and 0 nitrite. Give the substrate a good vacuum once a week and clean out your filters once every other week.

Your fish should heal with clean water.

The oscars was a rescue from Walmart that is being rehomed as soon as he is healed. He'll be in my tank for 2 more weeks at MAX

stock:
7x angels
10x red eyes
7x diamond tetras (rehoming)
2x goldfish (VERY TEMP - leaving tonight - got yesterday)
5x platys
3x swordtails
1x red tailed shark
2x kissing gourami (rehoming within the week)
1x dwarf gourami
1x Cory cat (rehoming within the week)
3x mollies
2x glass catfish

And more than one angel can go in a 55. 6 is supposed to be MAXED if you change your water frequently and I DO. I only have one extra because my friend needed an emergency home for it so I took it in for her. I do my weekly water changes at 30% minimum and I use Prime to condition. I am currently bare bottom as I just removed all of my gravel. I am getting my new sand this weekend and putting it in hopefully this week.

My ammonia I believe is from a mini cycle that happened because of high nitrates (DUE TO THE GRAVEL). It was caused by used gravel from goldfish and koi.
It was all removed with a 75% water change which I believe is why my ammonia is at .50. I have been doing water changes to keep it down.

The goldfish are presents for my dad/step mom so that's why they're in there and the diamond tetras are for a friend who's birthday is coming up soon.

The oscars was a rescue from Walmart that is being rehomed as soon as he is healed. He'll be in my tank for 2 more weeks at MAX

stock:
7x angels
10x red eyes
7x diamond tetras(rehoming)
2x goldfish (VERY TEMP - leaving tonight)

Yikes, that's alot of fish. I would buy a 10 gallon to house the oscar right away. He needs cooler harder water to thrive and get better. The Angels like warm soft water. Regarding the angels, let's see if any of the angel experts out there will agree with your tank stocking.

I've had my tank for a year. My tank is cycled. I know how to cycle. And I know what my water parameters should be. Ammonia was always zero before the 75% change.

Nitrite has always been zero since it finished cycling. And nitrate used to be high (because of the gravel) but after the removal and big change it brought it back down to 10-20.

Btw, 20 ppm is the highest it can be for the safe zone.

Yikes, that's alot of fish. I would buy a 10 gallon to house the oscar right away. He needs cooler harder water to thrive and get better. The Angels like warm soft water. Regarding the angels, let's see if any of the angel experts out there will agree with your tank stocking.

The Oscar is leaving soon. He is a cichlid just like angels. Oscar's aren't like goldfish they live in warm water just like all the other fish. He's gonna be leaving the tank soon anyway. He's a juvenile and 2 inches long. My 10 gallon is currently in the middle of cycling.

well im no expert lol but if thats all u have with the angels your fine. angels require 80 water temp

The Oscar is leaving soon. He is a cichlid just like angels. Oscar's aren't like goldfish they live in warm water just like all the other fish. He's gonna be leaving the tank soon anyway. He's a juvenile and 2 inches long. My 10 gallon is currently in the middle of cycling.

I stand corrected. I've never owned an oscar. I just know they grow BIG.

This is the back of my Melafix bottle.

Eye cloud, popeye, body slime. And MOUTH FUNGUS.
So could I treat with this? Bob McCoy? Anyone?

Attachments

• image-1371577252.jpg
    image-1371577252.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 46
So this is safe to use?? It's on my poor breeding angel's bottom lips. And only on their lips. No one else in the tank has it. Just the two breeders. Could that mean it's a breeding thing?

it could be but i wouldnt take any chances go ahead and yes its safe. butttt i recomend u get some paraguard when u can

stress of breeding can also bring on ich and other external problems sometimes also

Back
Top Bottom