Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

White spot in gill

Does anyone know what it is. It is a white bump growing on the inside of the gill. The fish is acting fine but there is something wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00122.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	72154  

Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Thats a bit big for ich. A parasite maybe? Have you been able to get a closer to look at it?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, the lump looks just like a lump. There does not seem to be anything around it. The inside of the gills seem to look ok. It does seem like the gill seems folded up or bent forward persay. Also so does the other gill with out the lump. This bump just appeared within the last week. A closer look at it seems that it is attached to the inside of the gill, but when it breaths it looks like it may have grown around in a shape that allows to somewhat close shut. If that is understandable. Water and other fish are all ok. I have had fish with tumors before so I do not want to treat the tank if it is a tumor. I have not seen this before in any fish I have ever had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00132.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	72162   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00130.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	72163  

Name:	DSC00127.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	72164  
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

That is a bit odd. Tumor would be my next best guess. I am not sure though.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank is this? What are you water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Is this fish or any of his tankmates new? My first guess would be a parasite but it would have to have originated from somewhere (either a new unquaratined fish or this fish being new). Some more info will help!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I would think a parasite would be squishier though. Just like a fungus would be. This seems pretty firm if its keeping his gill propped open like that.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water is all good. It is a 80 gal tank that has been established for 3 yrs. 4 fish in it. 2 silver dollars and 2 goldfish. Temp running 72-74. No new fish, I had a pleco die about a month ago but do not know why. Died sudden not warning
Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm...very odd. Its def not a parasite without the introduction of new fish. Have you tried to touch this with a q-tip to see if its hard or sticky or fuzzy? If its hard, then a tumor is the most likely answer & theres little that can be done (exception being surgical removal). If he doesnt seem to be in any distress, i would just let things be until he tells you otherwise.

Tags
spot, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com