White Spot on Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

This morning I noticed a large white spot on my Betta. I didn't notice it when I did a water change a few days ago, but I've been pretty busy preparing for Thanksgiving all week.

I do routine water changes every Friday (and sometimes mid-week if needed) and the water parameters are okay with the exception of high nitrates.

API Master Kit Readings:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

He is not acting strangely as far as I can tell, but I'd like to figure this out and get started on a treatment plan. Is this Ick? I always thought Ick was small dots, and I have never seen anything like this on a Betta before.

I do not think this is ich because that is all over the fish from what I’ve read this could be a tumour but I’m not sure you would have to get more of an expert to see.

I do not think this is ich because that is all over the fish from what I’ve read this could be a tumour but I’m not sure you would have to get more of an expert to see.

Thanks for the reply. Your comment got me searching for information on tumors and I did see a few that were similar to what's going on with my betta. I hope it's not a tumor :(

Thanks for the reply. Your comment got me searching for information on tumors and I did see a few that were similar to what's going on with my betta. I hope it's not a tumor :(

Yes I hope it isn’t a tumour as well good look finding out what it is.

Its difficult to determine from pics, but my guess is a fungus that has taken root on a small lesion. Not very serious if you concentrate on keeping your tank water extra clean for a couple of weeks. If the fungus spreads it might be necessary to medicate.

Its difficult to determine from pics, but my guess is a fungus that has taken root on a small lesion. Not very serious if you concentrate on keeping your tank water extra clean for a couple of weeks. If the fungus spreads it might be necessary to medicate.

I am doing daily water changes on his tank to see if it helps. Do you think I should treat with aquarium salt for a few days?

Aquarium Salt would be a very good idea. 0ne table spoon per gallon.

Update: I've done 3 days of water changes and today I am starting his salt bath. With the water changes, I've managed to lower the nitrate to 20ppm and he seems to be responding well to that. The spot on his side is still there, but his color is starting to come back and he's been a little more active.

I'm going to dose with aquarium salt (5tsp for his 5 gallon tank) and do water changes for 5 days. By then I should have removed the salt. I'll post an update then, or sooner if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom