White spot on my Featherfin Syndontis.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadyBrig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just

ForumRunner_20131007_011209.jpg

ForumRunner_20131007_011832.jpg

saw a spot on my Syndontis. It actually seems more like a cluster of spots. Can anyone identify what it is? The other fish seem fine. But my Bala Shark did have a white spot on top of his head last week but its gone now.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131007_010958.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131007_010958.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 95
It's hard to tell from the picture. One of mine has a small white patch like that. I presumed it was a healed over injury, as it has been there over a year and hasn't changed.
Otherwise, might it be a bacterial or fungal infection of a small wound?

Thanks. I know the pic isn't the best... kinda hard with a cell phone and fish ;) It looks like a few white spots close together. Never seen it before. I suspected the Bala's spot may be a wound but it seems healed now.

Thanks. I know the pic isn't the best... kinda hard with a cell phone and fish ;) It looks like a few white spots close together. Never seen it before. I suspected the Bala's spot may be a wound but it seems healed now.
I cropped the pic. I hope this one is clearer.

IMG_20131007_041932.jpg

Yeah I have to use my phones camera too.
I'd keep the water very clean with gravel vac/water changes and keep an eye on it. Take a couple of photos each day so you can see any changes. If you have a slime coat protector like stress guard, that will help.

Thanks. That's what I use... Stress Guard water condtioner & bacterial supplement. Taking daily pics is good advice. Thanks

Thanks. That's what I use... Stress Guard water condtioner & bacterial supplement. Taking daily pics is good advice. Thanks

How is it looking now? Any change?
Do you just use the bottled bacteria when your BB colony has taken a hit from meds etc?
If you have adequate filtration and use either tank or water treated with prime to clean the media you shouldn't need the bottled stuff on a regular basis.

I've never used medication in that aquarium. Its "new" and this is the first time I have problems. The spot is gone though, so yay! I hope that's a good thing!
For filters I have 2 aqua clear 50s. Thanks for the advice about the supplement. I'll cut down in its usage. Is there a way to know when I need it? I have hard alkaline water with high pH so those are always high when I test the water. I did a partial water change so I guess that helped.

I've never used medication in that aquarium. Its "new" and this is the first time I have problems. The spot is gone though, so yay! I hope that's a good thing!
For filters I have 2 aqua clear 50s. Thanks for the advice about the supplement. I'll cut down in its usage. Is there a way to know when I need it? I have hard alkaline water with high pH so those are always high when I test the water. I did a partial water change so I guess that helped.

Glad to hear it resolved itself (y)

Other than to address the effects of some medications on BB, a healthy, established aquarium won't need the bacterial additives unless something really untoward has happened and caused your BB to die off in significant numbers- such as filling the filter with untreated water, or washing the media in untreated water, or a power failure that has left the filter idle for quite a time.

So long as you are using a good dechlorinator to treat your water, you don't need to add any supplements. I like to use stress guard for injuries or when adding new fish or when I've done a major overhaul of the tank, but otherwise I just use Safe to treat my water (I fill the tank with a hose from the sink, so I dissolve the amount of safe I need to dose the whole tank, and add it before I start filling up.

Don't worry about your ph unless it starts to go up and down. But if you have hard water I don't think that will be a problem.

Just stay on top of pwc and gravel vacs and you'll be good.

Plus DONT add new fish to your tank without researching how the dynamics of your tank will be affected by the addition, and
DO quarantine first unless you are happy to medicate your entire tank for as long as is necessary to rid the disease, and to accept some losses in your live stock.

Those were my big mistakes.

Glad to hear it resolved itself (y)

Other than to address the effects of some medications on BB, a healthy, established aquarium won't need the bacterial additives unless something really untoward has happened and caused your BB to die off in significant numbers- such as filling the filter with untreated water, or washing the media in untreated water, or a power failure that has left the filter idle for quite a time.

So long as you are using a good dechlorinator to treat your water, you don't need to add any supplements. I like to use stress guard for injuries or when adding new fish or when I've done a major overhaul of the tank, but otherwise I just use Safe to treat my water (I fill the tank with a hose from the sink, so I dissolve the amount of safe I need to dose the whole tank, and add it before I start filling up.

Don't worry about your ph unless it starts to go up and down. But if you have hard water I don't think that will be a problem.

Just stay on top of pwc and gravel vacs and you'll be good.

Plus DONT add new fish to your tank without researching how the dynamics of your tank will be affected by the addition, and
DO quarantine first unless you are happy to medicate your entire tank for as long as is necessary to rid the disease, and to accept some losses in your live stock.

Those were my big mistakes.

Thanks for the help. I've been using both every time I do a cleaning or adding new fish... so every 10 days approximately. I also was putting the dosage according to the size of the aquarium and not the amount of water I was adding! So poor fish have been overdosed this year.
Doesn't the stress guard water conditioner make the water safe for the fish? My long finned tetras sometimes seem a little jagged.

The conditioner makes the water safe, but stress guard is a slime coat protectant:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/StressGuard.html

I doubt you've been overdosing- the only one suffering from your current routine is your wallet ;)

What are your parameters? Raggedy fins is often poor water quality. Do you have zero ammonia and nitrite and nitrates under 40ppm? (Preferably well under)

White sopt pls help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1402420688938.jpg
    1402420688938.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 1402420716975.jpg
    1402420716975.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom