White spot problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
Almost all of my fishes in the tank got infected by white spot. Sometimes the spot go from one fish to another. Should I cure them individually in a separate tank or should I cure them all at once, sick or not???

This is my first time dealing with such illness.

U need to treat the tank, white spot doesn't swap from fish to fish, what you're seeing is different stages of the disease

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

U need to treat the tank, white spot doesn't swap from fish to fish, what you're seeing is different stages of the disease

So should I pour the medicine into the tank? Then what should I do??

And can you tell me the stages of the disease??

Honestly, last time I had it, I used heat only, I slowly raised the tank temp to 32'c, left it there for 10 days and it was gone, then slowly lowered the temp back to 26'c.

As simple as I can put it.

The first stage is free swimming, when the ick is too small to see and looking for a host ( the only time ick is vulnerable)

The second stage is when it's found a host and starts feeding off it ( when it gets large enough to see )

The third stage is when it's finished with the host and has dropped off and started to multiply

Honestly, last time I had it, I used heat only, I slowly raised the tank temp to 32'c, left it there for 10 days and it was gone, then slowly lowered the temp back to 26'c.

As simple as I can put it.

The first stage is free swimming, when the ick is too small to see and looking for a host ( the only time ick is vulnerable)

The second stage is when it's found a host and starts feeding off it ( when it gets large enough to see )

The third stage is when it's finished with the host and has dropped off and started to multiply

The fish that used to have the white spot has no longer have them. Now my other fish got infected instead. Did they multiply??

And, so the water heat can kill them??

My fishes started chasing each other, maybe because of this disease??

Anyway thanks for the great reply. This helped very much (y)

The fish that used to have the white spot has no longer have them. Now my other fish got infected instead. Did they multiply??

And, so the water heat can kill them??

Fish are infected at least a few days before you see it.
Apparently ick isn't able to multiply in temperatures above 30'c, it also speeds up its life cycle so it gets rid of it quicker than just using meds. Whatever method you use, you need to continue treatment for at least 3-5 days after ALL visible signs are gone, just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there, when it's finished do a really good gravel vac..

The first time I treated for ick I used meds and I lost 3 fish, it took nearly a month and it wiped out the bb in my filter, the second time I only used heat and I lost no fish, it took 10 days and the bb was fine.
I know which method I prefer

Fish are infected at least a few days before you see it.
Apparently ick isn't able to multiply in temperatures above 30'c, it also speeds up its life cycle so it gets rid of it quicker than just using meds. Whatever method you use, you need to continue treatment for at least 3-5 days after ALL visible signs are gone, just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there, when it's finished do a really good gravel vac..

The first time I treated for ick I used meds and I lost 3 fish, it took nearly a month and it wiped out the bb in my filter, the second time I only used heat and I lost no fish, it took 10 days and the bb was fine.
I know which method I prefer

I see, thx for the great advice (y)

Oh, and how long should I keep the tank's temp in above 30 C degree?

2-3 days or 3-5 days?? And I read about this method and some fishes are not suited for this method, so will my fish be okay is quite a problem.....

I had mine up for 10 days, really depends on when u last see the parasite on your fish, remembering you'll need to keep up the treatment for a few days after they look to be completely gone, I'm not 100 percent sure on which I
U fish can or can't deal with +30'c but I assume that most tropical would be able to handle it for a week or so at least

I had mine up for 10 days, really depends on when u last see the parasite on your fish, remembering you'll need to keep up the treatment for a few days after they look to be completely gone, I'm not 100 percent sure on which I
U fish can or can't deal with +30'c but I assume that most tropical would be able to handle it for a week or so at least

Got it, thanks for your advice. It seems the spots are gone now tho my 3 of my fished died due to being bullied by fin nippers instead of white spots. Btw, can snails and/shrimps eat those white spots that is on the ground, reproducing themselves?? If yes that is good to know lol

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom