Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

White spot turned red. Help!

Hello! I noticed that last week, around Tuesday, my betta fish started turning white on his belly (heís always been blue/dark). I used the Tetra Lifeguard medication for a week to try and combat any disease as I waited for medication to restock at my pet store. Then, the white spot cleared on his belly but all of a sudden on Wednesday this week, he had a pretty big spot of white on his side.

From the way it looked, I thought it was ick, so I bought that medication and treated the water yesterday. Itís been a little over 24 hours and the white spot has now turned red.

Is this normal? Or is this a sign of something else, something more serious? Iím a newbie when it comes to fish so Iím at a huge loss. Please help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D69CA06C-30E2-408F-B344-8C8F7735AA43.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	320031   Click image for larger version

Name:	526BE85E-C064-46E0-A64E-9F4ED7FDBF40.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	320032  

Old 03-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That doesn't look normal at all. Poor fishy! I'm not familiar with the medication you mentioned but have you tried a parasite and bacterial infection treatment?

Old 03-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks bacterial. Hard to see without being there. Google saddle back disease for fish and see if it looks similar
Old 03-05-2021, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetladyz View Post
That doesn't look normal at all. Poor fishy! I'm not familiar with the medication you mentioned but have you tried a parasite and bacterial infection treatment?
Thatís what the Lifeguard was supposed to do but I donít think it worked very well Iíve got ick medication and bettafix that focuses on bacterial and fungal infections, should I use both?
Old 03-05-2021, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
Looks bacterial. Hard to see without being there. Google saddle back disease for fish and see if it looks similar
THATíS EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS! Thatís how the white spot looked before turning red oh god I cant believe I mistook it for ick Iím the worst Iíve got bettafix for bacterial and fungal infections arriving tomorrow will that work? Will it be too late? What should I do? Sorry about all the questions Iím panicking ((
Old 03-05-2021, 05:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, your doing good. Bacterial infections are really hard to diagnose until they are advanced in physical appearance. They progress very rapidly. Don't know if you or anyone you know has ever had a staph infection, but you know it just pops up, and progresses very rapidly.
Unfortunately they are also very difficult to cure and have a higher than average mortality rate.
Bettafix is the same stuff as melafix. It's more of an antiseptic than a curative. Antibiotics are the only thing that will cure columnaris. This link will help on making medicated food but there are plenty of other recipes on line
https://aquariumscience.org/index.ph...-5-saddleback/

Tags
red, spot, white, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com