White spots on black moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awallett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everyone! ive had my blk moor for 2 years and never had a problem with him. I just changed his water and cleaned his tank and i noticed he has some what looks like white film on his fins. does anyone know what this could be?
thanks!
ashley

sorry for the low quality of the pics, he is a very active fish!

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 96
Hi and welcome!!!!! Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? What exactly do these tests read? What size is his tank & does he have any tankmates? How often do you do pwcs? When you cleaned his tank, did you clean everything (incl the filters)? Some more info will help us to help you better!

hi sorry about the missinf info, im new.

i only have a pH test kit
last time i checked (about a hour ago) pH was 6.6
he is in a 10 gal by himself
im sorry what does pwcs stand for?
i cleaned everything, even the pump itself

No problem! Pwcs are partial water changes. Your drastic tank cleaning likely killed off a good portion of your good bacteria & you are having spikes of ammonia and/or nitrite. You really should invest in an API freshwater master test kit so you can accurately monitor your tank conditions- this is vital to the health & well-being of your moor. The spikes in toxin levels are likely responsible for what is probably the beginnings of a bacterial infection. Healthy water & low dose of aquarium salt (1tablespoon) may be enough to clear this up on its own but you will need to test his water daily for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate & do pwcs as needed. Ill post a link for fish-in cycling because this is where your at right now. If the spots dont start to improve in 2days, we can consider other options for treatment.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

ok thanks. i do partical water changes about 2 time a month. thank you so much! i have some aquarium salt a friend gave me should i put a tablespoon in now?

You really should do 50% pwcs daily with temperature-matched, properly conditioned water until you can get a test kit to see whats going on with your water. Without knowing, its a bit difficult to give you proper recommendations. For now, mix the tablespoon of aq salt in a cup of tank water & gradually add it over the course of 24hrs so he can adjust to the salt. When you do a 50% pwc, only add back half of the amount of salt (1/2 tablespoon predissolved in some tank water). Keep us posted & let us know what your test results are when you are able to test your water. :)

Back
Top Bottom